ALFA ROMEO 156 xenon install!

Started by sly17, August 29, 2009, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sly17

hi
i was considering installing xenon headlights on my 04 156 JTS. Just wondering how much you guys think it will set me back.

Also, I read somewhere on this forum that someone had problems after installing xenon's regarding moisture in the headlights or something like that?

Regards
sim

shiny_car

are you talking about true HID (high intensity discharge) xenon conversion kits?

bear in mind, the non-GTA 156 has 'reflector' style headlight lenses, suitable for halogen globes. these are not really suitable for HID globes due to glare/scatter affecting oncoming traffic.

having said that, people (overseas, that i've read about) have fitted HIDs to reflector 156 assemblies, and report minor glare (ie: not terrible).

ideally, you retrofit GTA projector lenses, but i suspect these are ludicrously expensive (eg: light assembly $2~3K+ per side but inclusive of ballast/wiring/HID globe).

other considerations (to be technically roadworthy) are the requirement for headlight wash jets, and headlight self-levelling. these are fitted as standard to all Australian cars with HID lights as standard (part of ADR requirement).

perhaps think carefully about what you are prepared to do/risk. your car may end up 'unroadworthy' which can have implications on insurance and of course being fined/caught.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey