What if Alfa goes ELECTRIC ?

Started by MD, October 19, 2009, 02:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

What are the possibilities? What are the consequences for petrol heads and flat torque gear changers? Will there be any gears? Is future sports car performance going to be settled by how big your battery is? Will size ultimately matter?
I am getting twin cam webber induction withdrawals already just thinking about it.
Worse than that, the mountain of Alfa spares that I currently have will be immediately transformed into museum pieces !!
Any rumours in this direction...??
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

oz3litre

I haven't heard anything about Alfa going electric. My prediction is that eventually we will end up with hydrogen fuel cell electric cars, diesels and cars with petrol engines running on hydrogen. The problems of hydrogen production and storage are already being solved. In Norway they have a highway running almost right round the country, with hydrogen refilling stations along the length of it. The Norwegians have developed solar powered hydrogen plants the size of a large fridge and the cost of refilling is not too bad and can be done in 5 minutes. Petrol engines can be run quite easily on hydrogen. Most of the car manufacturers admit that hybrids are just a stop gap and won't be around for long. After all they are really only petrol cars with a bit of electrical assistance. On the open road they run entirely on petrol as far as I know. I can't see Alfa doing the Tesla thing with the computerised fake engine sound.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

MD

Makes you wonder if the mechanical trade is getting tight sphincters about the future of engines and stuff. Would be pandamonium if it all got rolled out quickly. Let's hope sanity will prevail.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

OzMidnight

Mazda successfully had a 13B running on hydrogen mid-90's....but would it mean our Alfas would float?

ProvaRacing

What if Alfa goes Electric? Gee Alfa's been on that path since before WWI anyone heard of Twin Spark? Haha ;D