Selespeed Problem and Mechanic

Started by mores87, August 17, 2009, 08:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mores87

Hey everyone this is my first post and im so glad there are these sort of forums on the alfa romeo's.

Im have a Alfa 147 2002 model its a beautiful car its got about 74000kms and i havent had really any problems with it till the last 6 months.  Typically my problems are selespeed related.

The problem is this: When i get into the car to start it up...it wont startup and its not selecting gear. The lights come on but I'd be sitting there for awhile and getting know where. Also the car doesnt make the selespeed noise as it should just as i open the door. Then i get out of the car and go to the left side of the bonnet give it a nudge or two and the selespeed sound occurs. Then i jump back into the car and it starts up. its like the selespeed falls asleep. I'm not sure if im correct but i think thats the selespeed pump which controls the hydraulics as i do loose the pressure of the pedals.

Also another problem which has happened to me once while i was driving is i had just taken off and as i went to select 2nd gear it wouldnt engage so i pulled over to the side of the road and then it wouldnt engage gear. I then went to the side of the bonnet gave it a few nudges and the selespeed noise occurred and it was all good again.

What do you think i should do? Which parts would need replacing? And where is a good mechanic who can get the selespeed parts cheap.

Im live in Sydney so if anyone has any information that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Alex

tjcurcio

hey man ive had the same problem get the wireing checked for were the key turns mine was doing the same thing i got an alfa 147 2004 model

John Hanslow

Sounds like the pump's not working ! 

From what I have been told, its the solenoid, pump or actuator mthat has to be replaced ( not all at once) .  Also, when serviced with an Alfa Analyser, the Selespeed system is reset to make it smoother. 

Sounds like you need to get a few quotes.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

dehne

Hi there where are you located there are some thing you need to check b4 you takeit anywhere ifyougive my a call on 0418711643 ill talk you through them as you go so you can diagnose theproblem at home if its the fuse/pump/accuator the only onethat you cannotdoisthe accuator but to meit soundslike thepump thats a $300fix and you can do it urself in 10 mins i know as ivejust done one on my 156
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

John Hanslow

Dehne, you seem to be in the know.

I did notice this relevant question and answer relevant here. 

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alfa-Romeo-Repair-804/Alfa-156-Selespeed-stuck.htm 

Regards.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

bobalfa

Sorry if I use this subject to really introduce myself.  I have been a member of the NSW Branch since '84.  During that time  I have owned a 105 GTV2000 until 01, followed by a GTV6 until a few months ago.  Regret selling both but a) one can only drive one Alfa at a time and b) age has caught up with me.  Now I have a 03 156 JTS selespeed, a little easier to drive, almost as much fun, but no longer a car one can easily understand and work on, sorry fellow 156 owners!.  Thank goodness for the Vic Branch and the Forum.  So far I have had no real problems with the 156, my first action was to change the engine oil and filter, sorry but I am not using the special Italian oil, instead I use Shell 5 - 40 synthetic, this has written on the container "as recommended by Ferrari".  On my GTV 6 I left the timing belt for 4 years but <50000km the belt looked as good as new when I replaced it.  Question, why is a Camry belt good for 150000 and Alfa's 60000km? Yes the Camry is our shopping trolley.
On the selespeed, once I became used to it and was able to compare it with another,albeit 147, I thought the clutch take up was a bit sudden leading to very jerky reversing.  Having noted alfa alchemist's advice in 08, I had the selespeed  recalibrated by Euro Motori in Gosford, money well spent with all aspects of the change improved.  PS they have now been taken over by Brian Hilton who is also the Toyota agents in Gosford.  However as I live north of Newcastle I am looking for a 156 mechanic nearer to home.
One Major gripe, after I bought the 156 in Sydney I needed to fill it with petrol as you do.  Opened the "flap" no problem but getting the actual cap off, well 5 hours later etc etc, why does it have to be such a complex system.  Even now it is a hassel.

Cheers Bob alfa