what improvements are you doing ??? 2 ur race cars

Started by dehne, September 02, 2009, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dehne

hi all just want to see where u r at with mods to ur race cars
ive just brought new full race pads , looking at konis and king springs now and a rear wing to keep the arse on the ground and going to buy a new pair of federals for the front
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Thmpar

just brought overhung adjustable bias pedals,soon off for the cage to go in.

Mat Francis

+1 for the cage soon.

I also found a set of stiffer rear springs which sit maybe half an inch lower. The same day i put a set of standard 75 shock absorbers in the front (which felt much newer and stiffer), and discovered i already had Bilstein's in the rear. That was a good day.
From my limited testing the car felt far more neutral than before. Havn't put it on the track yet though so not going to make any huge claims.

I also removed 70kg worth of interior and rear bumper.

I reckon that's about all the go fast stuff i can do for now without spending any money. Just gotta learn how to drive it.

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

dehne

so everyones cars are at peak performance good to hear  ;)
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

greengtv8

Have to drop a LSD in green car at some stage, but not rushing as i spending money on other project. Am i aloud to put in a plug for me for anyone wanting a cage? hehehe mmsport.com.au if anyone wants a chat or info on cages...or anything a little different! Anyone want an SR20 to put in something? Includes flywheel to suit Alfetta, computer, loom, etc....
Little green Alfetta gtv 1982
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
LS400 IRS rear susp.& 8 1/2' diff
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes
Peddle box,balance bar & adj.bias valve's
9 point roll cage(inc. engine bay)
Custom Extractors & exhaust
Custom body kit & under tray

dehne

go for it gtv8 what price do you think to put a cage  into the 90 justinside
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

greengtv8

Realy depends on what your after...(my price is only approx. as i build them, not sort out the paper work)
4 point cage starts at about $1,000. Very basic 6 point is around $2,000 and comprehensive 6 point is just over $3,000. and staying just in the cabin (no engine bay) with the works(every bar), around $4,000 to $4,500.
     Extras can be things like remove, trim, and refit the dash
                                       Painting (acrylic/spray can)
                                       Remove and refit windscreen (if your after a 6 point)
                                       Remove and/or refit interior, etc
                                       Any bar that is removable cost more
     Basically the more prep work you do, the cheaper it is.

Most people spend between $3k and $4k, depending on the listed above, and will get you full 6 point, with double door bars, single in the roof, double diag. in the main hoop, single diag. between rear legs, harness bar between rear legs. triangulation where hoop meets forward legs. Cage is taged at 'A' pillars, 'B' pillars and at the fire wall.
     Half the alfa people get a dash bar too. If registered, how legal do you want it?
          In short there's many ways to spend money and to save it, so best to call, so we can price what your exactly after.
     All tig welded, except for the floor plates which have to be mig'ed, due to Alfa's quality steel! hehehe
          Usually only takes around a week to finish. Also if you have a seat, or know what seat your after, i usually sit that in first...to make sure you fit and that the harness bar is at the right hight.
      Lastly, the pics on our web site (atleast the alfa ones anyways) are several years old(Need to update), and we build them alot differently now(Due to cams reg's and new tooling, change of staff, etc), actually i should throw a new one in green car one day when i'm bored...I'm getting through around 2 cages a week at the moment, so if your local to moorabbin feel free to pop in for a look around. 9553 4200, anyone can help you or just ask for me(Andrew)
    Hope that help's and sorry if it to long winded!
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes

dehne

JIM IF U READ THIS HOWS THE 155 GOING have you sorted out ur tyre issue and hows the E85 going
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

jimnielsen

.. Andrew, great post about the roll cage pricing situation, very concise. I need to get one for the 155 a little later.

..Dehne, Last Sunday the 155 did 1:26.06 at Sandown... Not great, but faster than the Giulietta ever did. So, in summary it's going well. The tyres are hopeless, but I have ordered new wheels so that I can address that issue. The E85 has been a very smooth transition - no problems with it at all so far (except getting it from hoppers crossing.. )

jim~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Eddy Bidese

Hi Jim
I know what wheels you now have ( same as mine). What tyres now and what wheels and tyres are you moving to?

Paul Gulliver

Jim,

I was just looking at your time for the first Sandown meeting last year. That time was 1.34.66. An eight second a lap improvement over the last 12 - 15 months is a pretty significant improvement. If its not putting you on the spot to much, with continued development what sort of time to you think/hope the car will ultimately be capable of at a turbo/horsepower friendly circuit like Sandown.

Paul
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

dehne

jim what are you going to do with ur old tyres and you can get e85 in bendigo now
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

jimnielsen

Hi Eddy, I have bought a set of Compomotive wheels (from Stuckeys)

http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/popup.asp?wheel=67

in 8x16 4x98. I am going to use them with Dunlop 600x220R slicks. Should be good to go for Phillip Island in Dec. I looked at a million wheel options but this was the only one where I could keep my current front brakes and stay with 16" rims. Originally, in the Giulietta, when faced with a similar issue, I bought Simmons three piece wheels, but they are no longer an option. The 155 is a difficult car to fit 17x8 wheels to.

Paul. Yes, horsepower makes a big difference at Sandown - and in my car the turbo charger is providing it. However, It would also be possible to build the car without a turbo and use other means of developing power (in a similar way to my old Giulietta). But I think that the turbo route is probably cheaper (unless you blow up the engine) and its more fun!  I was on the track at Sandown with Seby - watching him disappear in my rear view mirror up the straights and then catch me under brakes and through the corners. The challenge I now face is to make the car perform better in breaking and cornering. IF (and its a big IF) I could get the car to handle as well as Seby's and still go as fast, you'd have to think that sub 1:20 was possible.

dehne, I am going to keep the old tyre and wheel combo to use in the 'wet' for the present. however, having seen how fast Alan Goodall was in the wet at the first session at Sandown, I may just keep the car on the trailer till it dries out.

cheers, jim ~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

BradGTV

Quote from: greengtv8 on September 15, 2009, 04:57:54 PM
Anyone want an SR20 to put in something? Includes flywheel to suit Alfetta, computer, loom, etc....
how much do want for the SR20 ?
cheers, brad
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

greengtv8

SR20 with all bolt on's and custom flywheel and set up bell housing(will need to weld up a proper one) $1500(Cost me $2500 incl. custom flywheel). I made a set of extrators($400), but there only any good if you get rid of your brake booster and put in a peddle box. I also have a gtv6 fuel tank with all fittings and working fuel lvl gauge($500) and late model alfetta gtv/6 fuel cap with key($125), a set of gtv6 brake disc's and calipers, redrilled to 4 stud $300 the lot, and a set of DTM Mesh 16' x 7.5' alloy rims (4stud) with old crap rubber $750...This is all stuff that was removed from my car when the V8 conversion was done...
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes