Safty Cage Changes

Started by Colin Byrne, October 12, 2006, 01:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Byrne

Hi all
Last night at the club meeting I heard something about Safety cage changes next year, as I've built my cage but haven't got it log booked yet I naturally freaked out so contacted CAMS this morning, FYI this is the response I got.
cheers

Hi Colin,

There will be no changes for 2007. Peter Lawrence will confirm this in the next CAMS magazine.

Kind Regards,

Samantha Robison
Customer Relations Officer
CAMS Victoria
851 Dandenong Road
Malvern East VIC 3145
samr@cams.com.au
www.cams.com.au
03 9593 7731

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Byrne Colin (RBAU-CC/EVA2) [mailto:Colin.Byrne@au.bosch.com]
> Sent: Thursday, 12 October 2006 10:55 AM
> To: Samantha Robison
> Subject: ROPS Possible Rule Change
>
>
> Hi Samantha
>    I was at my Car club meeting last night and there was
> some talk about possible changes to the Safety cage rules in
> 2007.  Currently my Targa Car has had the cage completed and
> is at the Panel Beaters getting sprayed, I was planning to
> get the car log booked by the end of this year or early next
> year.  The cage obviously conforms to the current rules but
> I'd hate to not be able to get the car log booked because the
> rules change!.  Could this be a problem?
>
> Thanks
> Colin Byrne
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

alfagtv58

Thanks Colin, I must admit I slightly hit the panic button too :o, but figured if the date on the paperwork from whoever fitted your cage matched what was the correct regs at the time there should be no problems......

It might be different for you as i know the cage requirments are pretty comprhensive for Targa, but for me building a car for Group S they are a little more relaxed.  I actually only need a half cage, but have put my safety as priority and gone the whole hog, so I should be well above any changes made to historics regardless! 
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Fast Eddie

Thanks for the research effort Colin.  A few hearts have returned ot normal output, mine included but if you had one installed in 2006 it is therefore complaint to 06 rules but should be log booked to protect this which you still have 2 months to do anyway.

Will look forward to the next CAMS mag to verify this.

edward
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

Nor sure what is going on here - CAMS sent an email to roll cage manufacturers recently stating that from Jan 07 new cage requirements would come into effect namely that side intrusion and a second diagonal in the main hoop would be mandatory.  This is a change they have flagged for the past two years so came as no surprise.  It may be that they have again changed their minds.  I will confirm next week.

If changes do come in - For people with existing cages that do not meet the requirements and have no log book - you will need to get the car log booked BEFORE the changes come into place.  If not the cage will not be deemed to comply.  If you do have a log book already and the cage does not comply - that is ok.  If the car met the requirements at the time it was log booked then it continues to be ok even if the rules subsequently change.  That is how we still have cars in improved production with alloy roll cages!

If any case I will confirm the CAMS position for 2007 and report back.

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

I can confirm that ROPS regs will not change for 2007 - that is 2006 regs will still be applicable for 2007.

CAMS had announced the change and advised manufacturers of the new requirement, but since then they have had a change of heart, but without letting anyone know.

No reason for the change but there ya have it - panic over for this year at least.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)