Happy New Year - 2010

Started by ProvaRacing, December 31, 2009, 05:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvaRacing

I thought I would jump in now as I won't be around for a day or so. I wish everyone on the forum, and members a happy, prosperous and healthy start to the new year - a year made famous 100yrs ago by Alexandre Darracq and Ugo Stella to form Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili - ALFA, and later Nicola Romeo to give us Alfa Romeo, and later by Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino - FIAT founded some 111 years ago. Touched by Vittorio Jano and stroked along by Tazio Nuvolari and Enzo Ferrari the legend of Alfa Romeo was formed. Grazie tutti.

In the spirit of historic ramblings here I am 20yrs ago tomorrow. Nuovo anno felice e sei sempre nel mio cuore un cuore sportivo. Ciao  :)

pep105

Happy New Year to you all Buon Anno and hope your having a great nite. Don't know about you guys but I'm sitting here with a couple of drinks with no power and a thunder storm but my iPhone still works  :) any way all the best as we enter cento anni of Alfa Romeo Happy New Year

PS Prova good post was that an AC BC or CC ?
PPS Havent had too many drinks yet unlike Xmas eve.......
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Davidm1600

Indeed Happy New Year everyone and hope we are all looking forward to the big 100 years celebrations.  My guess Pep is that it is likely to have been an AC or BC but perhaps Prova will let us know.  I still have my AC and it gives me a huge smile everytime I go and see it, sit in it and recall all the fun roads we have been on.  It sleeps for now.  ciao Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

prova

Hi Guys - Happy New Year

I did not realise when I choose PROVA as a forum name that there already existed 'PROVA RACING'. The name has always left an impression on me from old photos of experimental Abarth cars with PROVA as the number plate.

I am not sure if you guys are referring to my post about my previous FIAT cars. I have never owned a BC but have driven a mates a few times. My AC was really sorted and was the best car I have owned in terms of sheer grip through corners and steering/handling predictability. Plus it was just so easy to drive. It was a little modified. 1800 CC engine, adjustable Konis, poly bushes throughout, lowered King springs, etc. the only negative was some mild bump steer and a slightly harsher front end (not enough travel before hitting the bump stops). This did detract a little from the fun.

I love driving the Alfetta GTV but at this stage it is not as easy to drive. I will take it soon to have it tuned/serviced and check the condition of the shock absorbers. The car came with heaps of paperwork but I could not find any receipts for their replacement. I suspect they may be the originals - they are road worthy but maybe a little tired.

ProvaRacing

Hey pep105 and Davidm1750 seems like we share the same bloodline...or should that be driveline? Yes it was the AC I and my brother used for the track. My road car was the immaculate CC below. Love those memories.
PS Oh sorry about the pic quality had to scan the photo as film was the go in 1985.

RE: Using my name
Well prova they do say "imitation is the best form of flattery" but I think it's copycats that say that once they're caught ! Just don't prentend to be me haha ;D

Yes my name came from the test plates Italian car makers used in a way similar to trade plates here. I was impressed on my tour of Lamborghini in 1986(original factory) when they were building Jalpa and Countach, before they were taken over. It was interesting to see the cars being parked and PROVA plates removed and then the test driver would write on a blackboard the car code and it's top speed achieved. That had me stumped as they didn't have a test track...until I remembered it's name Autostrada del Sole (freeway of the sun)! :o

Below an example of a PROVA number plate(from the web), this one from Modena but is similar to the one I saw on a Thema 832 (Lancia with Ferrari 328 eng) prior to its release leaving Ferrari's Fiorano track the next day (Ferrari were always more sensible).

prova

I've really made things confusing - sorry!

Prova Racing I think I have spoken to you on the phone before. I rang enquiring about the silver GTV you were selling? Is this you? I ended up buying another car.

Nice AC - such a great car!