147 electrical gremlins - won't turn over

Started by crazymuppet, November 04, 2009, 02:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazymuppet

Hi There.

Long time reader of the forum - first time posting.

Have a 2001 147 Twin Spark which has run smooth as until now.  Polished it on Cup Day and went to drive it today but won't turn over.

Shows no signs of flat battery, dash lights on and fan runs.  No warning light clues.  Just will not crank.  Display shows today's date but time seemed to loose an hour strangely.  Radio was on but I muted it now can't get volume back.  Remote won't lock or unlock car.

Wondering where to from here?  Fuse or some ignition problem?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

MD

QuoteShows no signs of flat battery,

How do you know that? Batteries can display "normal" voltages until they are put under load when they are about to die. Poor voltages could causing you gremlins..Get an aut elec. to test the battery under load.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

crazymuppet

Ahhhh, you know what.  It was a flat battery.  Honestly I was suprised, it seemed to show all the signs of life and just stopping working with no warning.  RACV battery assist saves the day. :)

MD

Even partially flat batteries that appear to crank normally may not start the engine for no other reason than the voltage rail drops below the ECU function voltage which can be 10.5 volts depending on ECU type. When a battery is releasing a lot of current such as during a starting crank (150amps +) the voltage can drop a lot and hence no start.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

crazymuppet

Thanks for that - and I've learnt something too.

BTW $186 supplied and fitted 'premium' battery with 3 year warranty from RACV.  Was ok I thought.

ProvaRacing

Just as a side pointer also check earth strap is tight...as someone stated regarding "under heavy load" it may allow low draw items like dash lights and climate control fan (not radiator fan - that's high draw) but insufficent for the starter.

Good to hear it's solved with a new battery anyway.