How to reset 166 ecu?

Started by turboalfa, November 03, 2009, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboalfa

How to reset alfa romeo 166 ECU?
seriously need to know. but so far i can not find any way of doing it. there are rumours going around short these wires etc etc. but i very much doubt alfa would do it this way.

help thanks
GTV6 3.0L

AGM155

Alfa would plug it into its diagnostic software and reset it using that.

I have read its also possible to do this by disconnecting hte battery, just ensure you have the ICS code as you'll need put this in when you reset the car.

This is something I found on Alfaowner.com regarding the issue:

"ECU reset - Disconnect battery, short the red and black leads to drain any residual voltage from system.
Reconnect battery. Turn ignition on fully but don't start car. leave in this key position for 90 secs - you will hear the stepper motor in throttle body whirr and click for some time. Turn off fully and leave for 90 secs.
Now see if it starts but DON'T touch throttle until engine has got up to normal operating temperature ie rad fan comes on.
Turn off. Start her up again and take for a good blast!"

I take no responsibility for what was written there though, and haven't tried it myself.

Make sure you really heed the last step so that the Sportronic Gearbox ECU can "learn" its settings.

turboalfa

thanks for that. but ive tried that many times and sum people say leave it it for 15 minutes idling without touching etc etc and then turn her iof 10 minutes.. in my experience. its all crap.

GTV6 3.0L

AGM155

Yeah. I think the best way to go about your problem is to get access to diagnostic software which has a reset ECU function and do it that way.

turboalfa

thank you:) .. only wish i could find it on the net somewhere BUT NO chances in that haha:)
GTV6 3.0L

turboalfa

I take that back:) i just found a demo of the version:) which im sure i can crack:D haha !
http://www.alfadiag.net/demo.aspx
GTV6 3.0L