Vale - Gary Tierney and David Carra

Started by Ian Morris, November 20, 2009, 12:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Morris

I just heard the tragic news that Gary Tierney and David Carra were killed competing in Classic Adelaide 2009. As a fellow long time bitumen rally competitor I extend my condelances to the family and friends of both these guys who I knew as aquaintences. David's brother, Andrew is a valued member of our club's commitee as treasurer.
Bitumen rally is very dangerous and I have discussed this topic with my navigator, Alex and my family on many occasions.
Alex and I have the view that we all have to go sometime and if it has to be on a rally then we go doing something we love. It is a view held by virtually all of the competitiors I have ever talked to. Gary and David's accident would have been over very very quickly. Killed instantly.
So raise a glass and celebrate knowing Gary and David. They were great competitors over many years. It is to Andrew, other family and friends grieving the loss that my heart goes out to. Tragic news.

alfagtv58

Well said Ian.

I only met David briefly a couple of years ago at a Motorkhana, always sideways in a ute!  And it was only two weeks ago I was sitting right behind Gary in his beloved Porsche on the grid at Historic Sandown.

Vale

Our thoughts are with you Andrew.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Doug Gould

Gary was a semi-regular competitor at Alfa Club sprints and I used to enjoy talking with him. His son competes also. David had a career as a rally navigator and is well known & liked by my old rally mates - David Brown, Dinta Officer, Brian Smith and guys of that era. I used to see him periodically at David Brown's workshop working on Historic Rally cars.

The world is not quite as good for the loss of these 2 men. I'm so sorry Andrew.

In the first 3 months of this year, I had 4 mates killed flying. We tend to think of motorsport as safer than aerobatics, but bad things still happen. Please take care, we can't afford to lose more guys like this.

Doug

08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

shane wescott

Didn't know either of these Guys, but we do know Andrew.

Our sympathies are with you Mate.
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Thmpar

It was a shock at the least to hear about Gary and David.
Being local to us and my trade school teacher building his earlier cars and seeing him at the 6 hours and regular sprints we had come to know Gary reasonable well on the social scene.It a shame that it happens.
Our deepest simpathy's go out to his family and friends.

The Spicer Family.