Tribute to David Carra and Gary Tierney - killed in Classic Adelaide Rally

Started by Andrew Carra, November 21, 2009, 10:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carra

It's my very sad duty to let the club know I lost my wonderful brother David and friend Gary Tierney on Thursday afternoon.
They lost there lives competing in the Classic Adelaide Rally. They both died instantly, doing what they loved the most.

David's life was motorsport. He was never an Alfa owner (unlike his two brothers Christopher and myself), but competed in many AROCA events.  His last event with the club was our last dirt motorkhana down at Werribee.  Those there will remember David pulling 8000 RPM out of Rorie's 33.

David started his motorsport career in my Alfasud in the early 80's, as a member of the Monash Sporting Car Club. Together we did many Sprints and motorkhanas together.

He soon found his passion for rallying, initially (and always his preference) in the forest on dirt. In the 80's he competed in the TAUCC series (which was the University and Technical colleges rally series), in a Datsun 1600.
He also directed rallies with Anthony Sharp, and fellow club members such as David Crump and Allister Grigg competed in.

David then took his motorsport career to the highest world levels.

In the early 1990's he headed to England and work initially for Ralliart, and then for Prodive (Subaru World Rally Team).
David's role was as a service mechanic, and he worked with Subaru on all rounds of the WRC. In fact, they were so impressed with his skills (and driving ability) that he drove the chase reconnaissance car behind Colin McRae.  David loved to tell stories of him beating (or getting close to) Colin.  Reckon that's no mean feat given how Colin drove. David worked with Kenneth Errikson, Marku Allen, Ari Vatanen, Per Ekland, Possum Bourne, and Carlos Sainz.

Coming back to Australia, David then did his first Tarmac rally with myself in my Lotus Elise in the 2001 Targa Tasmania, where we won our category.

David then started his career as a navigator, and has competed in all Targa Tasmania's since then.

Doing about 6-8 tarmac events a year in a range of cars, David quickly became one of the most respected navigators.

In recent years David has also been competing in the HRA dirt rally events.  He did the Red Centre rally last year, navigating for David Brown (Brown Davis Automotive). We has supposed to run in the Alpine Rally two weeks ago, but David's engine wasn't ready, so he did four controls.

David and Gary had competed together for 3 years. The last rally they did Targa West they came third outright in Late Classic. I know David held Gary in the highest regard,  and out of every driver he has been with, Gary he always felt the safest with.

David was aged 43, and single. Gary has left his wife Louise, and sons Mark and Haydn.
The Carra family is devastated.

Andrew Carra
AROCA Vic Treasurer

Fast Eddie

Andrew,
Bec and i are so sorry for your loss.  We can only imagin how your families are feeling. We raised a glass and shed a tear to David and Gary last night over here in WA.   

Ed
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

TFJ100

Hi Andrew,

A real tragedy and desperately sorry to hear about David. I was in Adelaide for a rail conference while the rally was on. Most of the competitors were staying at the Hilton where I was staying, as Hilton was an event sponsor. I met a few of the competitors going in and out of the lifts, and saw the field depart on the morning of the accident while waiting for a tram. I wasn't aware David was competing until I heard the news. I was googling around to try and find out more immediately after I heard about the accident, but my worst fears were confirmed by your post.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Torben
Now -
2018 Giulia QV, Vesuvio Grey

Then -
10 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - black
08 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - silver
10 159 1.7T 6 sp man - red
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

blacklotus99

Andrew,

This is very sad news.  My condolences to you and your family and Gary's family.

I never met David but understand he was highly respected and liked by all the tarmac rally guys.

Sympathies from Grant and all the guys at Autohaus Hamilton as well.

Regards, Ben.

alfagtv58

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Anthony Sharp

On behalf of the Carra Family,
I wish to advise that The Funeral Service for David will be held at,

Leonda by the Yarra
2 Wallen Road
Hawthorn
Monday 30th November at 2 PM

No flowers by request.  In lieu a donation may be made to the Victorian Lions Foundation Inc. in David's memory

The Funeral Service for Gary will be held in St Michael's Uniting Church, 120 Collins St, Melbourne on FRIDAY (Nov. 27, 2009) commencing at 1.00 p.m. Private Cremation

Ads

Thankyou, Andrew, for sharing your own insight on your brother's life.  Best wishes to your family and Gary's as well.
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)