Should we upgrade to vBulletin? (enhanced forum software)

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 22, 2009, 09:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it worth upgrading to better software to run this forum?

Absolutely
7 (43.8%)
Maybe, I'm a little cautious
5 (31.3%)
Indifferent
1 (6.3%)
No way!
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Evan Bottcher

I'm considering change the software that runs this forum.  The package vBulletin has additional features (better user profiles, photo albums amongst others).  Lots of little detail features that make it much nicer to use.  It's the same package that runs the big alfa forums at alfabb.com and alfaowner.com.  The full list of features is at http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features.

The downside is - we can transfer all posts and user accounts, but everyone would need to reset their passwords.  Not a big deal, but might confuse a few people.

thoughts?

Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

wetprickles

No way Evan, alfabb site loads so slowly its painful. The few advantages you might pick up will not be worth it. Love SMF, this layout and would prefer it to any others I've used. Especially "Home of international Alfa 90 register" which is just horrible.
From a users pont of view you are already on the best software-so stick to it.
Ill be voting NO.
I ran out of lock, and ran out of revs and run out of road, and ran out of talent.

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: WETPRICKLES on November 23, 2009, 12:13:49 AM
No way Evan, alfabb site loads so slowly its painful.

Have you blocked the ads?  Once you do I find AlfaBB is fine, maybe 0.5 second slower than this forum, and I think that lag is probably due more to the host than anything else.

That said , I agree that the layout of this site is excellent. 

I'll be voting Indifferent.

John Hanslow

Not sure but our Clubs Online system to be implimented has a password doesn't it ? or is it just a member number. Should we do it in such a way so they are the same password?

I know that it is seperate to the forum, its for membership, bookings for events and club shop and funds management ( all with credit card)  but would the passwords be the same?

Just a thought.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: WETPRICKLES on November 23, 2009, 12:13:49 AM
No way Evan, alfabb site loads so slowly its painful. The few advantages you might pick up will not be worth it.

I'm going to bet that the AlfaBB site loads so slowly because of the amount of external advertising (doubleclick, google) that is being served.  Ads invariably slow the display of web pages down significantly.  In addition, AlfaBB is hosted in the states which will add latency.  vBulletin software itself won't be contributing much if anything to slowness.  Agreed AlfaBB is very painful, I'll be taking Sheldon's advise and installing some ad blocking software...

Quote from: John Hanslow on November 23, 2009, 07:11:45 AM
Not sure but our Clubs Online system to be implimented has a password doesn't it ? or is it just a member number. Should we do it in such a way so they are the same password?

The Vic club's new online system (which I haven't seen) is separate from the forum, which is national.  It's not restricted to club members (at this stage).
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

alfagtv58

Is the search function user friendly, offer relevant results and fast acting.

Does the search function work better than the current POS?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

NigelC

I agree with most of the posts here. The Alfabb site is painfully slow whereas this site has a search engine that was clearly designed by a dyslexic Honda driver.  Change is to be feared (just joking) but change should only occur if the new result is better, not slower.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

DAVIDT

EVAN............I do think by reading the replies you have your answer.........DAVIDT. p.s.surely you must have room for 2 x 164's for parts.........THANKS

AlfaACT

The list of features looks pretty impressive, but does it also improve the lot for the Administrator?
While the alfabb looks good, I too, do not like the delay while it renders the pages. My (possibly incorrect) understanding is that one needs to $ub$cribe in order to get rid of the ad$ - dont want to go there.
I have voted "I'm cautious" but am prepared to assign my proxy vote to you Evan.
Ciao,
Peter.

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: AlfaACT on November 30, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
While the alfabb looks good, I too, do not like the delay while it renders the pages. My (possibly incorrect) understanding is that one needs to $ub$cribe in order to get rid of the ad$ - dont want to go there.

Not true.  If you're running Mozilla Firefox, just get an 'add-on' ad-blocker.  I run Adblock Plus and it's excellent.  I couldn't believe how slow the internet was on my girlfriend's laptop, running no ad blocker on Explorer.

For Internet Explorer there are bound to be similar add-ons, but I wouldn't know.  Does anyone still use Explorer?

Ash Gordon

What is wrong with the current format ?  ???

If it aint broke....
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Evan Bottcher

Okay folks, the poll results show a slight lean towards a YES vote.  However most of the commenters on the poll suggest an indifferent or negative response.  I think that combined with laziness leads me not to switch to the different package.  Thanks for your input.

I'll probably upgrade to the newer version of this forum software in a couple of months when it's a bit more mature - it has some good new features around moderation, but is mostly just the same with a slightly shinier appearance.

Sorted - thanks.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV