Alfa 147 Engine Oil

Started by Luka355, February 28, 2010, 04:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luka355

Hi All

I own a 2006 Alfa 147Ti and am about to do an oil/filter change. The service manual recomands Selenia 10-50w, however I'm not sure it is available in oz. Any suggestions what oil I should use, or does it not matter as long as it 10-50?

Also, anything to be aware of when doing an oil change or is it as straight forward as on other cars...?

Cheers

ProvaRacing

Quote from: Luka355 on February 28, 2010, 04:15:07 PM
Hi All

I own a 2006 Alfa 147Ti and am about to do an oil/filter change. The service manual recomands Selenia 10-50w, however I'm not sure it is available in oz. Any suggestions what oil I should use, or does it not matter as long as it 10-50?

Also, anything to be aware of when doing an oil change or is it as straight forward as on other cars...?

Cheers
Hi Luka355, you will probably not find that spec in Selenia's range anywhere...it is specified as 10w40 (Selenia)generally but in Australia it is recommended(by Alfa dealers) to use 10w60 (Selenia Racing).

It doesn't really matter which brand (as in any well known oil brand) you use as long as it is 10w60 (not thinner/thicker) but I can recommend Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 as the specs are near identical.
http://testfl.onion.it/commonfile/ita/pdf/1047_scat_ITA.pdf
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/e/EDGESport10W60_B1968_05.pdf

Before you set yourself to do the change just make sure you have the right tool head (torq) to remove the sump plug. Have a look and check as it may not be the usual hex head or allen key. Get yourself a plug washer too.

Good luck.

Luka355

Hi ProvaRacing

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll get some Castrol Edge Sport then.

Cheers,
Luka

ProvaRacing

No worries Luka355.

I always considered a F355 a good "looker".  ;D

dehne

when you go to ur auto shop look in the oils section and look at the books and you will see that edge is now a recomended oil for the new alfas
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

jayarr

Hi,

re the comment from Dehne. Edge may be recommended but have paid through the nose to have it put in my car at one of the Melb dealers instead of Selenia.

Quite happy with Edge, I reckon that my JTS uses less of that than it did of the Selenia.

Cheers.
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003

saratoga

Thanks, Jayarr, yes my JTS now at 140 k's is starting to use more oil so maybe problem solved I will look into Castrol Edge if if is now being recommended an change it more often. 
I am going to try and supply the oil to the dealer to put in the car then they cant charge more for it than labour.
Cheers