Importing my 156 from the UK. Make sense?

Started by Frank Eastaughffe, January 16, 2007, 05:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Eastaughffe

My 156 is the most comfortable and enjoyable car I've ever owned and I've done very few miles - I don't want to leave it behind if I don't have to. I've looked at the duty, GST and LCT issues so have a good idea of what it might cost me to get it there. And I'm still interested (mad?).
I'd like to talk to someone about practical issues and if someone can recommend a knowledgeable individual, informed dealer or someone in Alfa Romeo Aust to talk to I'd appreciate it.
My issues are that I think I have a model that was never sold in Aust - 156 1.9 JTD 16V Veloce (First rego early 2004). Will I be allowed to import it? Will I be required to have some parts changed to meet Aust standards? Will spare parts be unavailable and cost a fortune to import? Will I be able to buy insurance for a reasonable amount? And there are probably more I haven't thought of.
Appreciate any suggestions that people could make. :)

Fast Eddie

Frank,
send me a personal email to - edward@bizexchange.com.au and i will put some door to door pricing together for you.  i have over 20 years experience in International freight forwarding so will help you at least get some genuine costings to help you make the decision and indeed get the job done.

in your email, tell me what city the car is in and wheat suburb in Mel bourne you are in.  You will be allowed to import it no problem but you must obtain Dept of Transport pre-approval before you ship it or else you can add months to the delivery timeframe.

On the parts and service side- give Damon @ Lance Dixon a call and he will set you straight on that side as would any of the other dealers.  Depending on where you live now in Melbourne, you may wish to commence a relationship now with your future closest dealer.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Evan Bottcher

Worth noting we did get the 1.9 JTD 16V in Australia - but only in the 147.  If you speak (or email) to Damon (http://www.lancedixonalfa.com.au/service_department.htm) I assume he will be able to confirm if all parts are available.

Assuming you are coming to Melbourne, make sure to drop at our monthly club night when you arrive?!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal