Your advice please in buying a 2008/09 159

Started by kcj, January 24, 2010, 06:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcj

Hi, we are currently looking at buying a 159.  It will be automatic.  Your advice please on seleselect petrol as opposed to auto diesel would be appreciated. Your comments on  2.4 litre as opposed to 1.9 would also be appreciated.  The issue of remapping seems to come up on a lot of forums...is remapping necessary and how much does it cost?  We are happy for any other info that you can share on the 159.

Thanks for your help.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi KCJ,

The 159 is an over engineered (heavy) car.  Consequently, the smaller engine lacks enough punch to deliver the performance most buyers would desire.  The diesel delivers great torque once the turbo kicks in.
An alternative would be to wait for the release of the new 1.7 Mulitair engine.  This provides good performance and fuel economy.
The auto is sophisticated and the 6 speeds are well matched to the shorted effective rev range of a diesel.  Selespeed has developed quite a poor reputation for reliability and high repair bills once the warranty has expired.
If you need to buy now, I recommend the diesel/auto combination.  They are particularly appealing in Ti form, with the lower stance and 19" wheels.  Just be aware that the replacing 4 tyres (on the Ti) will cost over $2,000.

The 159 is a nice car and the general build quality appears to be on par with the competition.

Sorry but I don't know about remapping.

Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

martyo

Hi KJC

I have just picked up a new 159 ti.  Beautiful car to look at and agree with Marco.  I have the 6 speed auto with the sequential gears in deisel.  The only draw back is that it is a little slow from the "0" km - wont take off quick around corners etc.  I am assured that the sequential gears of today are different to the "selespeed" of yesterday.

There have been a few problems which have been hard to rectify - nothing major, but the dealer just does not seem to be able to deal with them - no hand book for the stereo, squeeky brakes in reverse etc....  if anyone knows of a good alfa mechanic, please let me know!!

Good luck!