What is the best driving alfa?

Started by scuzzyGTV, February 11, 2010, 09:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Gould

The only people who say other than a Montreal are those who haven't driven one.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Duk

Quote from: MD on February 13, 2010, 09:08:15 AM
This topic has given me an idea. Sure we love our Alfas whichever one we own but if we are 100% honest with ourselves, we know there are aspects that range from great to crap and in between. In the spirit of informing pending new owners and those not mechanically inclined, we should start a new topic that makes a list of the principle good points and outlines the remedies to fix the not so good aspects.

That could give people a better idea if they are prepared to either put up with the demerrits or go the whole hogg and fix the car to make it truly a complete pearler instead of pretender.

Of course this would only work if people don't get too precious when a specific model gets a pasting on its way to glory.

Honesty and dedicated (brand of) car nut aren't 2 words that get used together very often.
There doesn't seam to be much objectivity amongst the 'dedicated' crowd of any breed of car enthusiasts.

"It's a/an (insert your automotive bias here), so there for it must be fantstically, amazingly brilliant! And no one else can say or prove otherwise! But, can someone tell me how I can improve the ********/reduce the *******/fix the *******?"

I think what MD is sujesting is a fantastic idea, but it needs to be done with honesty rather than emotion.

Mat Francis

Quote from: Doug Gould on February 13, 2010, 01:07:12 PM

Doug

Sadly that's most people. Obviously they wouldn't be special if we all had though.

+1 for MD's idea. Excellent thought.

First thing that comes to mind is how s*** the interior is in the 75's. (or perhaps just mine...) Comfy and in my mind sensibly laid out, yet obviously not built to last for anything more than 10 years...
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Brad M

Quote from: dehne on February 12, 2010, 08:06:48 PM
sheldon will take 90's ill drive a 90 before any other alfa

Sheldon, where are you? I'm expecting you say GTV6 or SZ if you won lotto.

Quote from: Doug Gould on February 13, 2010, 01:07:12 PM

I'll take you up on that offer one day, I could always do with a Monty in the collection.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Brad M

Back on topic though ...

I love the Sprint on the track, I love the the 105 on an early morning run ... I refuse to pick a favorite, as a good parent should never admit.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

scuzzyGTV

i must say i'm touched by everyones dedication to all models!

i do suppose in reality it is like asking what is the best ferrari/lambo/etc. everyone loves the one they have and admires the rest. when i tell people that i have an alfa, they always seem to be jealuos to some extent  ;)

in a similar vein to MD, i think i could start another thread, with describe you best drive. perhaps this will yield some great stories, good reading and lots of memories.

and yes dave dads 1750 is rusting away on my front lawn, looks much worse than when youd've last seen it :(. but the mechanicals are pretty sorted, good for a spirited drive south every now & then.

81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Davidm1600

Hey Scott, indeed mate, there were some really inciteful and excellent responses to your question.  No surprises there given how much we love our Alfas  ;D  But yes a little personal bias and even perhaps squinting through rose tinted glasses sometimes can hide the imperfections !!

Sounds like another decent thread to start, I can imagine there are many tall stories of ones favourite road trip/drive out there just waiting to be told.

Oh sad to hear about your Dad's GTV, I must admit it wasn't looking too flash the last time I saw it, when ever that was, but good to know that at least the mechanicals are strong.  A  bit like my car, the only difference is that I became so sorry with it due to the rusty doors and crap paint, that I have it tucked up in the lockup garage I rent where it waits with my 124 Sport (which is in nice condition), for the time when I can restore it.  At least it is out of harms way from rusting further.  Do you guys live in the north now ???
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

JOHN G

The best driving Alfa is the one that best matches your driving ability.

John.

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

MD

Aha. That explains everything. Now I know why I got the last pick and scored the one with the big key on top. Never could figure out why it was only good for 100 metres before a rewind !!   ;D ;D

...yeah too true John.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

k76

I've recently bought a 147ts as a daily driver, and love it. Compared to my Alfetta it is so much more responsive on the throttle, quick steering, good gearshifts and very little bodyroll. It's such a great car for everyday spirited driving. But, Pushing a bit harder the Alfetta is ultimately more fun in my view. Maybe because it makes you work harder, but it so much easier to feel whats going on underneath. And it is rear wheel drive. Never thought I'd say that!
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS