What are your favourite alfa driving moments?

Started by scuzzyGTV, February 16, 2010, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzyGTV

with my other thread no yeilding any standout alfas to drive, the general consensus was that they are all excellent in their own right, i got thinking again
what are you best alfa drives?
i'm thinking stories that could become folk lore, the sensations that you felt, the pure emotion, how the guy in he commondoor felt inadequate when you passed, etc., etc.
i cant think of any particular standouts at the moment, but i'll have a think tonight and put some words on paper tomorrow.
look forward to the replys :)
scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

dehne

what kind of stories do you want ie driving on twisty roads doing high speed, doing a smokey and the banndit and running from the cops or just a great trip to the shops when you past a bmw broken down
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Joe Garra

Great Ocean Road in the Spider with the roof down :)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

spieret

Driving along in a 60 zone, no traffic around, except for the white commodore who pulls up alongside, winds the window down yells "c'mon mate". I shake my head in the negative not really wanting to waste my time, he goes "awww c'mon" again i shake negative, he persists again so i go "ok then", drop it into second and take off like a rocket. White commodore a speck in the rearview. I take off around a roundabout like i'm taking turn 2 at QR and zip up onto the motorway. Eventually when the commodore caught up, cause once i was on the motorway i stuck to the speed limit "point proven", driver and passenger were both bowing in acknowledgment.

or

Sitting at the front of the lines at a set of Traffic Lights, Mr Motorbike, splitting lanes comes and sits in front of me. Does he take off faster than I can, No, is he shocked when i'm keeping with him, yes, is he even more shocked at the next set of lights that i go faster than him. Wouldn't know his face is too small in the rearview. This occurs regularly, and it's even worse when someone on a moped does it.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

italmum

Quote from: Joe Garra on February 17, 2010, 09:42:10 AM
Great Ocean Road in the Spider with the roof down :)

Mine is the same but with our 156...almost 9 months pregnant lol...i couldnt handle all the bumps in the end and hand to turn around and head back to the peninsula...had our lil boy the next day, guess he wanted to experience the drive with us  ;D
Past - 1979 Red Alfetta 2000
Present- 2001 Red 156 Monza (avalaible for sale if anyone is interested, but not too sad if she stays)
Unfortunate Present - 08 60th anniversary commodore Black (damn u new car seat rules!!)

scuzzyGTV

Quotewhat kind of stories do you want
any that people think deserve to be here!

now this one is memorable, but not a favouite:
driving back to hobart from launceston, sunday afternoon, raining heavily, dark clouds above. speedo cable snapped on way up the day before and alternator decided it didn't want to work anymore, so what to do? buy new battery roll start, use park lights until i see another cars headlights coming the otherway and put mine on, stop using wipers when lights are on. thank god for rain-x.

being blessed with great roads doesnt help me make up my mind on a proper fav drive though. now its thinking time, again

81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Evan Bottcher

In 2002 we were driving around highland Scotland in a 1991 Alfa 33 16v Sportwagon.  Drove over the 'Bealach na Ba' (Pass of the Cattle) between Plockton and Applecross - the most fantastic drive it has fantastic switchback corners, the only road in the UK in a similar style to the Alp crossings. 

The next couple of hours drive was fast along the coast road watching the sun drop across the inner sound towards Skye.  Past little houses sitting alone on cliffs and dodging the occasional sheep.  Fantastic part of the world for driving, barely any traffic and great roads.  The 33 was brilliant.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Paul Gulliver

Evan,

Any chance of getting Bruno to organise that as an EMR  ( I wish !!!)
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

scuzzyGTV

81 GTV 2.0 - Red

franck

going back a bit.. 1983, in my gtv 79 model silver lowered, all standard immac, at the time it only had 60k, on my way to thredbo from sydney, with me on of the babes from work, skis on the racks, car loaded, going pretty quick 4am lake george on the left(full of water in those days) single lane each way cutting corners going from 4th to 5th and back again full throttle exits, feeling like a gp driver, showing off, no traffic, all of a sudden a little ditch in the road, look in the rear view mirror a shower of sparks, a bang and it now sounds like a tractor....broken header flange bolt and leaking exhaust... still made it to and from. but that night drive was superb, that car was glued to the ground, but i paid the price with constant exhaust repairs

Paul Gulliver

Turn 1 & Lukey Heights at  Philip Island.

See everybody there in March
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Anthony Miller

I don't know why but it always seems to involve beemers, either making that 3 series behind you a dot in your rearvision or monstering that 540 when it gets a bit twisty....it will make you forgive it for those won't drive moments when it makes yet another embarrassing journey on the back of a tilt tray  ;)
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Ray Pignataro

Any track that I can run close to Musco.Dont have to beat him just run close to him

dehne

the drive through sutton grange near bendigo to kyeton good corners nice straights the 90 loves it come to thibk of it might head through there this arvo for a sunday drive
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

scuzzyGTV

so i've decided on a truely great drive.

was the start of 2007, my wife & i are about to move to the uk in 5 days and it was our last chance to catch up with some mates who were camping at ouze close to the west coast of tas. very nice open flowing roads, great for pushing 4th in most corners, with the occasional 2/3, and long 5th gear straights. good 2 hour drive from home, to get there, cant find them. look and ask the other campers if they've seem them, nothing.

ah well, head back to carol's mums house for the night. get a phone call, please come and see us.

next day, make the trip up and back again, was a fitting end to my last drive in the gtv before it went off road!
81 GTV 2.0 - Red