Early 156 Selespeed

Started by Sergio, March 29, 2010, 11:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergio

Hi all, sorry if this has been thrashed to death already but after owning several Aussie/Jap makes I'm looking to acquire my first Alfa.  I've been looking at getting a 156 recently, specifically a 99 model Selespeed which seems a good car for the dollars.  I've driven it and it goes and shifts OK although I only had a 5 min. drive.  I've been having a quick read of the stuff in this forum and it seems to me that the general advice is not to walk but run away from these so I think I'll give it a miss unless anyone can offer other insights.

So are the Manual models definitely the ones to go for?  And are the earlier 1999-2000 Manuals any more reliable and less problematic/expensive to run and keep on the road?  I prefer manual anyway but they seem a bit rarer especially at the low prices some of the Selespeeds seem to be going for.  Also IMHO the Selespeed changes lag a little (Shifter>Computer>Gearbox) when compared to the purely mechanical way of shifting in a manual.  For me the only upside would be using it as an auto in stop-start traffic.

Apart from the tranny are there any other weak or common trouble spots to look for in these cars? 
It seems the Selespeed boxes have a life expectancy of only around 80K but how do the manuals compare?
How many Kms have they been known to go for before needing expensive things like head gaskets or engine rebuilds? 
And are these cars with anything over say 150K to 170K on the clock best avoided?

Thanks.

JohnMate

DONT BUY SELESPEED (SEE: WONT GO INTO REVERSE THREAD)

dehne

hi there i own/drive both a manual and a selespeed 2000mdl 156 both are fine to drive and yes there is a lag with the sele but its only in city/auto mode if you are driving in manual they change quicker the a real manual.
lookif the cars got a good history and has a complete service hist and you like it then buy it but be prepared to fix thing, the good thing now is that parts are getting cheaper the 2000 mdls go for $8000 and cheaper
hope this help a little
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

jayarr

Hi,

there are plenty of people who have Selespeeds and stick with them. But there is the caveat that they can have issues, and there will not be many garages except for those familiar with Alfa's who can successfully maintain and fix them - probably due to the uniqueness of the design.  The parts can be expensive too.  

The take up speed of the Selespeed apparently can be tuned at least with the clutch rod (?) and possibly by software (anyone able to confirm?).  But you'll never turn it into one of the slick change boxes which have been produced recently.

Personally I'm happy with my simple manual gearbox.

Buyers guides
http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_156_buyers.shtml
http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38312&KW=buyers+guide

Cheers.
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003