Removing Air Conditioner Unit?

Started by Brooke, March 05, 2010, 11:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooke

Are there any tips to removing the air conditioner compressor from my Alfa 33?

Would like to get rid of it as it doesn't work and is blocking access to the lower part of my Weber and engine.

To remove it would be to leak the gas held inside, I am guessing this is not a good idea?

dehne

all you need to do is undo the fill cap and let the gas out wear a glove or something when you are a bout to pull cap off let it drain for about 30 mins when its draining keep away from it, when finished pull it off. if you never want it on again cut the hoses close to the firewall
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

ProvaRacing

Quote from: Brooke on March 05, 2010, 11:11:50 PM
To remove it would be to leak the gas held inside, I am guessing this is not a good idea?

Yes Brooke, unless you wish to contribute to thinning of the ozone layer, best you get it degassed at an A/C service place or have a mobile serviceman come to you (if the car isn't driveable). Would be good if you had another car that could do with an A/C service also to make it $ worthwhile.

To suggest otherwise in a public forum is unwise.

PS Also note this depends on the vintage of the car and if the gas is R12 or R134 (approx post 1991 or if regassed and converted from R12 - memory a bit vague since I was in the A/C industry ) and in any case avoid at all times eye and skin contact to avoid frostbite.

dehne

did the air cond work it may have been low in gas anyway, just let is out and to combat the ozone effect go and have a bbq as we all know cows are the biggest effect on ozone, so we should all have steak at ur house
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

prova

If its any help I removed my aircon system a couple of weeks ago on my 85 GTV and found it was completely empty of gas. It must leech out over a period of time. But this is just my experience! Maybe check to see if there is pressure - if so take it someone who can dispose of it responsibly. Have fun.