Montreal retro...

Started by ProvaRacing, March 16, 2010, 03:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvaRacing

Having seen those Montreals performance at P Island I was thinking how come...?

Well they already did, kind of;

As talented as any designer may be, it's never easy to update an original classic such as Marcello Gandini's 1970s Alfa Romeo Montreal sports coupe. Nevertheless, young design student Davide Varenna tried his best to create a modern interpretation of the Montreal for the "Stile Italiano Giovani 2010" competition organized by ANFIA.

The 20 year-old student adopted many styling cues from the original Montreal including the deep headlights, the shape of the side windows and doors, the hood-mounted NACA duct and slats behind the doors, adding his own personal touch to the rest of the car.

The original Montreal started its life as a concept car at the 1967 Montreal Expo in Canada. Designed by Marcello Gandini, responsible for some of the most celebrated designs in automotive history such as the Lamborghini Miura, Countach and Diablo, Lancia Stratos, Fiat X1/9, Maserati Quattroporte (first generation) and Citroen BX, just to mention a few, the concept model spawned a production version in 1970.

The 2+2 seater Alfa Romeo Montreal was powered by a 2.6-liter V8 engine with fuel injection generating around 200 horsepower and was hooked up to a five-speed manual gearbox that drove the rear wheels.

It remained in production until 1977 with Alfa Romeo selling close to 4,000 units of the car. Ironically, the Montreal was never officially sold in the city it was named after as the car was never certified for sale in North America.

Having also had some esperience in this field I have to say for a 20yr old he has a stack of potential.

spieret

Now that would be sweet if they did it.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Davidm1600

Definitely has a huge lot of potential there.  Heaps of Wow factor, wicked.

Perhaps my only criticism, and I for one could hardly even begin to design a car, is that it has a degree of resemblance to the 8C.  Not that this would necessarily be a problem, except that there are quite a lot of Alfisti out there who don't accept the 8C as an Alfa, suggesting it is simply a Maserati in drag. 

I am not saying I agree with that view, and also am happy to have such linkages.  Afterall the engine in the 8C is from a Ferrari, via Maserati, and both of these are supercar makers, albeit owned by Fiat.

Its funny up until recently I had been generally not a fan of the Monty, having not seen one in the metal for many years. However, at our last club display a bloke from up the north brought his red Monty down and up close and personal, when you look at it, you do realise just how sweet they are.  Pity the 105 chassis is not quite up to the engineering of the engine etc, but of course like all things Monty's can be made to handle well.  Oh well, no chance for me to be able to afford such a car anyway. 

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina