Tyres for an Alfetta GTV6

Started by AlfaACT, March 06, 2010, 09:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaACT

Hi to all the GTV6 Alfisti,

It time to put new rubber between the car and the road. But the question is what is best suited to the GTV6 these days?

Assuming that I stay with the recommended size (195/60/15) on standard rims.
The handbook advises Pirelli P6 - but that was 25+ years ago!

The car currently has Bridgestone Potenzas.
I like the look but they are getting on in years and a bit hard - plenty of tread but not much stick. I would like something a little stickier - wet roads can be a bit scary.

I've got Michelin Precedas on the Impreza and love em, but its a very different car to drive and they might not suit the GTV6

I dont do track work but do enjoy spirited driving on windy roads, so they've got to
be able to hang on.

So, can you tell me what you run and your thoughts on their suitability?

Thanks,
Peter.

Alfalfa

I've got Yokohama S-Drive all round on my 2ltr gtv. Fantastic tyre from memory around $200 a pop for 195/55 15 or 205/55 15, can't remember exactly. but yeah, very happy with them 2 years on. Coming from Dunlop Formula R's that were very old but still had good grip in the dry. Road noise dramatically reduced and they even take bumps better and made my steering easier
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

Domenic

Hi Peter,

I stumbled across a set of Pirelli P6000 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280474012789&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you want to use the same tires as the handbook recommends.

minipete

I had P6000's on my Giulietta and didn't like them at all.  Squealed like a pig and didn't seem to have a lot of grip.  I had to put up with them for 12 years cause that's how long it took me to wear them out.

I now have Yokohama C-Drives (186/65x14) and the car is transformed, turn in is crisp, no squeal and they are very quiet.

Pete
83 Giulietta

AlfaACT

Hi Guys,

Yokahama A-drive won the day - unfortunately they dont do the S-drive in the standard size :-(
Only travlled about 30 klicks since - very smooth and quiet, steering felt lighter but a very definite sense of security :-)

Thanks for the comments.
Ciao.