This says a lot about BMW owners

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, March 24, 2010, 07:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

"Four out of five BMW 1-series drivers think their car is front-wheel drive, according to the firm's CEO Norbert Reithofer.

Reithofer revealed the statistic in a conference call to journalists following the announcement of BMW's financial results. He admitted the company found the 1-series survey results to be "quite a surprise".

Reithofer was justifying BMW's decision to start producing BMW-branded front-wheel-drive cars on the next-generation Mini's platform, which is due in 2014.

The platform, covering front and four-wheel-drive models, will be used for both the third-generation Mini and for a range of BMW models between 3.8m and 4.3m long.

According to industry reports, there could eventually be up to 20 individual BMW and Mini-badged models based on the new BMW-engineered platform. The dual length of the platform would enable it to cover models sized from a typical supermini to a Golf-sized car."

via  http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/248407/

Andrew156

This is what happens when you buy based on style versus substance. I have a theory that 1 Series buyers are only chasing the brand, and not the driving experience. But I could be wrong....it happens occasionally:-)
'02 Alfa 156 Selespeed Wagon

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

What do you think the stat would be for Alfa Romeo owners wishing their cars were rear wheel drive?   :P
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Davidm1600

I suspect it would be a classic case of:  It depends on who you are asking.   If you are asking Alfa owners who have stuck to their older/classic Alfas, possibly-probably close to 90 %.  However, if you were asking those drivers/owners of modern Alfas, possibly-probably mush less, as many have bought their Alfas for the same reason as BMW owners.  It being a nice modern, Euro car.

I am between both camps, as have both a 1750 GTV and Giulia Super let alone a Fiat 124 sport and appreciate RWD but as well have a '03 JTS 156 sportwagon and have no issue really with it being FWD.  If I had a choice, and it were available, I actually would appreciate the 156 having AWD, say as per Audi, Subarus or even late model Brera's. 

IMO, too many people bagout FWD as being technically inferior and cheap etc.  However, I think one only has to think of just how good and successful was the original Mini, the Alfasud and Fiat 128 and all of these were FWD.  Also, isn't the 164 and 166 FWD and I don't recall anyone having a real issue with them being as such.  Just a thought. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

MD

On a somewhat different aspect of BMW owners, a peculiar revelation came to mind while I was making the round trip from Brisbane to Phillip Island. This involved some detouring to visit Victorian friends with a total mileage of around 4,500km. The amazing thing is, I did not see one BMW on a country road in any of the three states I went through.

So what I hear you say. Well, I'll leave it up to you to dwell on the possible reasons why someone would invest so much bucks in a supposedly high performance car never to be seen actually making any use of its attributes.

Come to think of it, have you ever seen a BMW driven in anger on the road? Yes, yes honey, I am just taking the beemer out for German tune up somehow just doesn't sound right I suppose?!!

Good to put a face to the name, Sheldon. Enjoyed watching you giving the 90 a flogging around the track too.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

wankski

Quote from: MD on March 24, 2010, 09:12:04 AM
On a somewhat different aspect of BMW owners, a peculiar revelation came to mind while I was making the round trip from Brisbane to Phillip Island. This involved some detouring to visit Victorian friends with a total mileage of around 4,500km. The amazing thing is, I did not see one BMW on a country road in any of the three states I went through.

So what I hear you say. Well, I'll leave it up to you to dwell on the possible reasons why someone would invest so much bucks in a supposedly high performance car never to be seen actually making any use of its attributes.

Come to think of it, have you ever seen a BMW driven in anger on the road? Yes, yes honey, I am just taking the beemer out for German tune up somehow just sound right I suppose?!!

Good to put a face to the name, Sheldon. Enjoyed watching you giving the 90 a flogging around the track too.

i take it ur back in brizzy mate?

shame, thought u'd stick around for the alfa show in lygon, would have been good to meet you after all these years...

haha, i may leave u in suspense and not tell you who I is just yet...

oh wells, next time.

not to go completely OT, but with a n/a 4, i'm sure it doesn't really matter. GTAs and the like are another matter tho

MD

So as not to hijack this thread more than I already have, wankski you may care to give me a PM otherwise I might have to send out my Chadstone spies to track you down and own up !!  :)

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

1750GT

Now that was a bit nasty MD. I own both an Alfa 1750GT and two classic BMW's. I can assure you we are out regularly both on track and on road both the alfa, M3 rocket and 3iS. Trouble is because these cars are so fast (0-100 in 4.5sec and 6.5sec respectively), we usually don't blast on the highways where the cops are sitting waiting but on some very nice selected back roads, at the speed limit of course unless we're at the track.

Of course in the mountains although the BM's are weapons we tend to give the 17fidy a bash, wonderful.

1750GT

MD

Some ancient and first Alfa chariot rider dude called Pilate is quoted as saying : What I have written I have written...

..it gets worse. In my opinion, from what I have observed,I believe that with the exception of a minority, the majority of BMW owners are not up to the potential of the car they are driving.

If there were more BMW owner/drivers like you I wouldn't be making this criticism.

I am sorry but badge collectors and dress accessory merchants don't wash with me. Realistically, BMW owners are not the sole participants in the charade. Just take a look around any well heeled car park.

Apologies Sheldon for taking your topic to where you probably did not intend it to go..

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

philpot

Hmmmm

Perhaps "...Four out of five..." BMW 1 Series drivers just dont think much at all....

re: Lies, Damned Lies & Statistics - 101
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

alfagtv58

I suspect the one remaining out of the five drives the 135i.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

QuoteI suspect the one remaining out of the five drives the 135i.

..the attraction being no eyebrows ?

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

NigelC

I think you're right Phil.  I have a friend in Vic who used to drive a WRX Sti and traded it on a 1-series BMW.  I nearly fell off my perch when he told me ... he then let on that it was a 135i.  Now he has a 335i and they are beautiful pieces of machinery.  He likes my Alfa 159 but who can argue with his choice of performance vehicle?
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust