1975 ALFA ROMEO 2000 GT VELOCE - Automatic???

Started by sammo105, March 29, 2010, 05:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammo105

Hi all,
100%Newbie here looking to buy a classic 105 coupe(my dad had one in the in the 70's and I 'm hoping to continue the tradition)

I 've seen a 1975 2000 advertised for a very reasonable price but it has auto transmission.
Just a couple of things
1. Would this be an original Auto?
2. What tips/traps should I ask about/look for if I decide to inspect. It's being sold unregistered so apart from rust what would be highly likely RWC items.

Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sammo105   

Davidm1600

Hi Sammo

I am not sure if you are referring to the red Auto 2L GTV on ebay, as that one looks extremely rusty and would be a seriously major restoration, especially for one new to Alfas.  On the other hand if it is another one, which appears basically ok that is a different story.

Yes, in answer to your question, Alfa made a number of Auto 2L GTVs and Berlnas, of which a few made it out to Aus.  Personally, I wouldn't buy an Auto 105 GTV, as it detracts from one of the seriously great things about these cars. The manual gearbox.  When in good nick they are superb gearboxes and a delight to use.

Re your questions on what to look out for when inspecting a 105 GTV, rather than repeating what I recently wrote in response to a similar query, may I suggest you look at the new member/Alfa owner section, and look for the thread posted by silverGTV ?  re the differences between a series 1 and 2 1750 GTV.

I think there should be sufficient info to get you started there. 

Re: getting a car ready for a RWC inspection, basically this will cover, condition of car (ie rust, especially if it is structural (ie. cills etc, or possibly a danger to the public, ie. panels flapping, jagged edges.), suspension (both front and rear) and that means, bushes, tie rods, shockies, etc etc, brakes inc. brake lines and handbrake  electrics (ie. working headlights, indicators, wipers etc), no oil leaks, tyres, windscreen, exhaust condition (ie. no holed pipes or mufflers), steering (no unacceptable play), acceptable seat-belts, seats need to be appropriately secure to their mounts. etc.  Hope that gives you some idea of what you will need to consider.

PM (private message) me, if you have any further specific questions.  I have had my '69 GTV since '97, and bought my first Alfa (105 Giulia Super) way back in '83.  I have had 7 Alfas over the years but driven a hell of lot of different ones over the years, so I know one or two things about these cars.  Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

GTV-074

Sammo,

As Dave has mentioned there are lots of things to look for. We used to have a Berlina auto years ago and it was nice! (aren't all 105's ?)

But do check that the auto is working and OK. I remember having to get the auto rebuilt years ago (its a german ZF unit - similar to what was fitted
to a contemporary BMW 2002 at the time I think?) and it was quite expensive. If the auto is 'iffy' ...you might want to get an idea of what it would cost
to reco (I would guess 1k+) or have it checked if possible.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?