water in my 156 headlights :< (pics)

Started by ex3e1989, April 02, 2010, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex3e1989

Hi!

So I got some moisture in my passenger side headlights on my MY2004 156 selespeed, see the pic:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3391/imag0091q.jpg

the car is still covered by statutory warranty but 'sealed beam lights' are not covered in the warranty so the dealer isn't willing to fix it for me.

there are no cracks in the headlights, i'm guessing it's not sealed properly. anyway, the dealer quoted me $200 to remove the headlight, clean the moisture and seal it back up.
he said it's really hard to take out the headlights because he needs to remove the entire front bar...is this true?

also...i have been told by his mechanic and another mechanic that the starter motor needs to be replaced because it is going to fail on me soon. The dealer refuses to cover the cost (been quoted $300 for a new starter motor from his mechanic) because right now the motor is working fine. if 2 mechanics advise me that it's going to fail, shouldnt he have to pay the cost under stat warranty?

cheers.

wankski

i assume u bought the car from a dealer second hand and thus it is within the 3mo stat warranty?

you should have received a schedule of what was covered and what wasn't...

if you do, scanning it in and sending it to me could help...

If you bought the car in Vic, from a dealer, u may find joy in s 54(2A)...  ;)

starter motor issue is tough... i'm a say until it fails you have little recourse... if it survives beyond warranty, then they are golden and its your problem, if it fails within, then they should definitely replace it..

you could argue that it was a known defect, and thus it should have been labelled as such by the trader - if indeed it has become obvious by two other mechs soon after purchase...

ex3e1989

thanks for the reply.

yea it's the 3mo stat warranty i'm covered by. it's actually stated in the stat warranty that sealed beam lights aren't covered:
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256EB5000644CE/page/Motor+Cars-FAQs?OpenDocument&1=90-Motor+Cars~&2=930-FAQs~&3=~#statutory
so i guess i'm on my own with the headlight issue, just not sure if $200 is reasonable or not.

i'm still a bit confused about the starter motor bit. I think i'll call up consumer affairs and ask them. i'll post their answer soon

wankski

Quote from: ex3e1989 on April 02, 2010, 01:52:29 PM
i'm still a bit confused about the starter motor bit. I think i'll call up consumer affairs and ask them. i'll post their answer soon
damn good idea... it would help if you supply written docs of your two other mech mates that think its on the way out, esp if they are prepared to say its a reasonably obvious fault...

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: ex3e1989 on April 02, 2010, 12:53:07 PM
there are no cracks in the headlights, i'm guessing it's not sealed properly. anyway, the dealer quoted me $200 to remove the headlight, clean the moisture and seal it back up.
he said it's really hard to take out the headlights because he needs to remove the entire front bar...is this true?

also...i have been told by his mechanic and another mechanic that the starter motor needs to be replaced because it is going to fail on me soon. The dealer refuses to cover the cost (been quoted $300 for a new starter motor from his mechanic) because right now the motor is working fine. if 2 mechanics advise me that it's going to fail, shouldnt he have to pay the cost under stat warranty?

Front bumper bar does need to be removed to get headlights out, as it covers the bolts for the light.  Not a hard job, but time consuming.

I'm interested to know how its been determined that your starter motor is going to fail soon... 

However, statutory warranties exist to fix things that HAVE broken, not things that MIGHT break.  Asking for it to be replaced under warranty while it works fine is a bit like calling your insurance company and asking them in advance to repair hail damage on your car because the weather report on the news tells you there is a strong chance of hail.  Very slim chances of getting it replaced, I reckon.