Alfa Romeo Turns 100

Started by Hudson, April 06, 2010, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson

Check out this article, the first of a four part series, on the 100th anniversary of Alfa Romeo:

http://automotivetraveler.com/jump/1670

John Hanslow

Yep, we had an RL and a 6C at our recent 100 Year Alfesta displays and events.  All good.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Hudson

bobalfa

This seems a good a post to comment on the recent celebration of the Alfa Centenary at Phillip Island and the associated Alfesta.  My congratulations to the Vic branch for a brilliantly run series of activities.  In particular, as a participant at Alfesta, well done to to all the organisers,Victor and his team, and, may I also mention the Sharp family. In the mid 80s we participated in our first Alfesta at Mt Beauty, Ray Sharp was one of, if not, the organiser and being newbies took us (and the 105) under his wing.  Vin and the family continue that tradition.

As an aside may I reveal my age by saying that as a 20 year old I was at Silverstone in 51 when Fangio and "our" Oz 159, won the GP that day. Nice to see the old car again.  In those days one could wander around the pits and peer into the cars.  If you were lucky you might even exchange words with one of the less famous drivers eg Reg Parnell.  One S Moss won the 500cc event in his Cooper?  Must find the program one day.

Regards

Bob McCulloch/ bobalfa 

Sheldon McIntosh

Far out Bob, that's an amazing story!  And also proof of why Historic racing is so cool, you can still peer into the cars.

At one stage of the weekend I was standing around looking at the T33 and the 159 and some old bloke with a cane came into the garage to look at the 159.  The only reason I noticed him was because he had some 'people' around him, so it was obvious he was a somebody.  But then, his people disappeared, to do god knows what, and then I could see this man, and it was an amazing sight.  He was a frail old man, but with amazing piercing eyes and what was obviously once a large and powerful body, and he was looking at the 159 like he was being reunited with an old lover and that they were both 19 again.

Seriously, I'd looked upon the 159 with a certain sense of wonder, but probably not any 'lust' for want of a better word, but when I looked at this old guy looking at the 159, it was more than just love, it was like him and the car were meant to be together or something.  I know I talk a lot of shit on this forum from time to time, but seriously, that's how it was with this guy, he was transfixed by the car, and I was transfixed by the obvious connection between them.  I could tell that this wasn't just any old dude.

Turns out it was only Tony Gaze that was looking at the car, and apparently he'd tried to buy this very car in 1951 or maybe 1952.  Awesome.  Do a wikipedia search on Tony Gaze.

Now that's an Aussie hero, not a pack of cockramps who can kick a ball straight (but still get a point if they miss the goal).  Apparently the St Kilda football team are heroes because they won a game with a few guys out injured?  Get fucked.  I remember reading about a Kiwi pilot in WWII who landed his bomber an hour after being shot in the eye.  IN THE EYE!!

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

AlfaACT

SHELDON, Sheldon, sheldon!
Consider yourself admonished.

"only Tony Gaze"
Indeed!

For those whose interest may have been aroused:
http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/products/page/query/plu/21470/

Ciao,
Peter.

John Hanslow

Someone of such character should be a "Club Patron".

Other clubs have a notable patron and it would be a worthy addition to club membership.  I mentioned this idea to the committee about a year ago but it was not taken up at the time due to work & other commitments with 2010.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

ItalCarGuy

THe wikipedia article on Tony Gaze is very interesting. Even just the 1 degree of separation into the alfa crowd, cos Tony married Diana Davison the widow of Lex Davison who raced alot of alfas I remember reading, and won 4 Australian Grand Prix, the last of which was '61, the year after the soon to be Alfa dealer Alec Mildren won it... I'm sure the links could go on.

bobalfa

Sheldon,

I would hsve suggested Tony Gaze but you worked it out.  I have had the pleasure of talking to Tony in the past but we mostly talked about his flying exploits in the RAF. I had hoped to speak to him at Phillip Is but he was far to busy.  His memoirs have recently been published and are a great read about his life both as a fighter pilot and motor racer.

Regards

Bob

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: AlfaACT on April 14, 2010, 09:44:51 AM
SHELDON, Sheldon, sheldon!
Consider yourself admonished.

"only Tony Gaze"
Indeed!

For those whose interest may have been aroused:
http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/products/page/query/plu/21470/

Ciao,
Peter.

I didn't mean it like that, more like " It was ONLY BLOODY TONY GAZE!!!!"  But I thought that came through in the words following that anyway.  He was definitely one of those people with a lot of presence.

Have you read this book?

AlfaACT

Sheldon,

I wasn't really admonishing you either  ;)
But I did enjoy your description of the encounter.

I have not read the book, yet.
I keep looking at it in the PitStop newsletters - but procrastinate.
I might just do it now - thanks :-)

Peter.

Hudson

Parts two and three of this four part series, on the 100th anniversary of Alfa Romeo, are up:

Part two: http://automotivetraveler.com/jump/1677
Part three: http://automotivetraveler.com/jump/1685

Post comments. Let me know what you think!