Gauge Removal for 1750

Started by lhodgo, January 20, 2010, 06:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lhodgo

Hi all, I am removing the timber veneer in my 105 1750 GTV and have gotten as far as the two round gauges in the centre console. I have tried everything to get them off without breaking them and I know it will be simple but I just dont know the trick! I thought I felt the water gauge turn so I thought it must screw off, I then heard a crack and a tiny chrome painted plastic piece fell out! I am assuming this is really good news and I stopped.

Any help would be great.

Lucas.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Lucas,

There are knurled thumb screws at the back of back instrument, holding the mounting brackets in place.  You need to remove these as a starting point.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

lhodgo

Cheers Marco,

I guess I will have to remove the console to do this, was hoping to do it without rmoving everything. I will do it the alfa way...late after work in the shed with a head torch!

Lucas

cjheath

It's not too hard to remove the console. You need to remove the silver ashtray and the screw(s) under it, also screws to the floor in the bottom front corners and (in my case) to the dashboard. Then remove the top and bottom screws from the heater controls and the plastic knobs, if you still had them. The console should lift up at the back enough to wriggle it away and undo the two chunky electrical connectors (one red, one white) from behind. I have speakers in there too, and they need to be disconnected. I also have a stray wire that drives a w/s washer pump instead of the dash lights (which are wired on). Poke the heater controls through the slots and then the console comes out.

lhodgo

Success! I got all the veneers off except the little peice with the indicator arrows in it and the area with the lights ect.

Any Ideas?

Lucas

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Lucas,

I have just completed replacing the veneer on my 1750. In my car, these 2 pieces are installed in the same way as the larger dash veneer section.  Little spring steel clips attached to the posts of the chrome trims.  I gently pried these off using long nose pliers.

Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).