WANTING TO FIND

Started by giuliasuper, May 19, 2010, 10:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giuliasuper

Hi Everyone.

Am trying to track down my first Alfa - a 1972-3? grey Giulia Super. The rego was IHU 896 with engine number AR00526A87110. I saw the car in the early nineties painted red, but under different plates. Vic Roads have today confirmed that the engine is still currently listed in Victoria in a grey 1973 Alfa Romeo, so I guess it's out there somewhere.

Any help, very gratefully received.

Derek
1972 Giulia Super
1982 Giulietta
1988 Spider Quad
2001 Spider
1969 GTV
1991 Spider

John Hanslow

Do not know if you are a member or not, but if yiu are and a member previously owned the vehicle, the club could perhaps track it thru our member/vehicle data base and give you the details.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Brad M

Quote from: John Hanslow on May 20, 2010, 12:55:44 PM
Do not know if you are a member or not, but if yiu are and a member previously owned the vehicle, the club could perhaps track it thru our member/vehicle data base and give you the details.

For privacy reasons I would say no we wouldn't, but we could refer the current owner (if on the books) in the direction of the forum.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

John Hanslow

Interesting point.  That is valid indeed.

So why are we keeping such records, complying with AROCA directive to maintain same and spending time and money updating our data base ?

I would assume that a club member provides to such vehicle info and consents to its use.  That info is for club use and thus member benefit.  That is a fair statement.

More importantly, such info should only used by the club for club's benefit and member benefit, and not disclosed to third parties.  I am not a lawyer but that is a 'fair and reasonable' use of data.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

giuliasuper

Thank you gents for your consideration of this situation. I was a member some years ago, especially when I owned the Super. I currently own the GTV in the avatar and I confess, should rejoin the Club. I have had great support from Barry Edmonds. He directed some likely prospects to me from the Super register but they turned out to be not the right car. One looked absolutely the same; same paint, same interior, completely unroadworthy and heaps of rust. It was offered to me for $1000 but the engine number was not right.

Given that the register has to this stage not produced fruit, I was hoping that someone on this site might have a reli or a next door neighbour or someone who has the 'old girl'. It would be great if they would allow a viewing and photographing and even better if they'd consider a sale! I'd be prepared to pay $20K plus for my old car. It's an emotional thing - like your first girl friend!!
1972 Giulia Super
1982 Giulietta
1988 Spider Quad
2001 Spider
1969 GTV
1991 Spider

giuliasuper

Any other suggestions?

Is offering a spotters fee something that might help............ or do you think my hopes are in vain?

1972 Giulia Super
1982 Giulietta
1988 Spider Quad
2001 Spider
1969 GTV
1991 Spider

GTV-074

Derek,

Whats the story with Vic Roads?

So we know the car is around, can it be followed up with an FOI (freedom of information) request? I think that's the way its handled in NSW.

Can they (Vic Roads) offer any thing else? ...might be worth asking.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

giuliasuper

My suspicion Paul is that Vic Roads place a higher priority on the Privacy Act rather than FIO. I've tried probably 3 or 4 times over the last few years to establish more detail on the car. Recently I tried for a VIN but the very friendly Vic Roads chap apologised that he was not permitted to provide that detail. So, in the end, I know the 'old girl' is out there somewhere in the state of Victoria. It's too cooincidental not to think that the original engine in a grey '73 Alfa Romeo is not my old car. Whether it is grey or red, I cannot say.

Thanks for you thoughts though!  :)
1972 Giulia Super
1982 Giulietta
1988 Spider Quad
2001 Spider
1969 GTV
1991 Spider

giuliasuper

1972 Giulia Super
1982 Giulietta
1988 Spider Quad
2001 Spider
1969 GTV
1991 Spider

dehne

can you do a vic roads security check, you know the ones they do if you want to see if the car is stolen, ect if you are an interested buyer u might get lucky and it will give you some details of where it is
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

franck

maybe the police may help by giving your information to the current owner as an interest to the car since you have proof the car was once yours, im sure that wouldnt have any issues since youre not actually getting anyones address or details but simply providing yours if the current owner wishes to poss sell the car back ti you... good luck

giuliasuper

Quote from: dehne on June 05, 2010, 05:13:27 PM
can you do a vic roads security check, you know the ones they do if you want to see if the car is stolen, ect if you are an interested buyer u might get lucky and it will give you some details of where it is

I tried this today (as well as a vehicle information check). Unfortunately you need at least the Registration or VIN neither of which I have. The engine number alone will not allow the process to begin.  :(
1972 Giulia Super
1982 Giulietta
1988 Spider Quad
2001 Spider
1969 GTV
1991 Spider

MD

Instead of a spotter's fee, why not spend the bucks on simply a tasteful advertisement in whatever media has a state wide circulation ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

tuf105

Hi Derek,
It might be worth getting in touch with the AOMC - Association of Motoring clubs (they have a website). They have vicroad records for cars up till around 1982.

They offer a service (for a fee) whereby they can search for the history of this car via the engine number and tell you it's VIN, if it changed registration number, etc. up to 1982 IF it's in their records (refer website for details).

For example, I know my car had an engine change some time in it's life. By giving them just this engine number, they tracked down the original vehicle VIN and rego number of the donor car !

Might be worth a try, particularly you can get a VIN for this car your looking for - Might open up the search a bit for you.

I hope this helps

Good luck

Frank.