cathartic pain release

Started by w47ty, April 30, 2010, 05:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w47ty

I just need to cry in public.....

There I was in my shiny gorgeous 1975 105 2000 GTV. with barely a blemish or dare I say a spot of rust after many thousands of $$ had been spent. When, and whilst static at a stop line waiting for traffic to pass, a numpty in a nasty plastic japanese thing went into the back of me and stoved in the rear end crumpling both rear wheel arches and smashing both light clusters. 

How I remained calm I shall never know...more to the point how I didnt break down in complete tears is a miracle.

Thankfully insurance details were ok and thanks to Frank in Summer Hill it is on the road to recovery. Fingers crossed the guys insurance company dont try and write it off!

I just needed to get that off my chest in a form of therapy where I know (or hope) there will be a degree so sympathy and maybe empathy!!!

Thank you for your indulgence. I will let you know how it goes

cheers

chris

75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

GTV-074

Chris,

I feel for you.... same thing happened to me years ago. Just sitting at the lights stationary - and BANG!

I had only just got the GTV too. Then to add insult to injury once the first prang was all settled and booked in to be repaired, again at a set of
lights (stationary) the guy behind me decides to go before I did once the lights went green ....more damage!

Hope your beast gets better soon...

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Gary687

I feel your pain too - especially as I was sitting in the passenger seat when it happened!! As I said at the time - there is a silver lining in this and you'll be smiling all too soon as she purrs underneath that lead foot of yours!! ;D
Alfa Brera 2.2
Alfa Giulietta
Alfa Grin :-)

w47ty

Well, fingers crossed everyone. The assessor is ....well assessing the car today. The cost to repair has been estimated at $13k lets hope it gets across the line!
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Mat Francis

Quote from: w47ty on April 30, 2010, 05:11:43 PM

Thankfully insurance details were ok and thanks to Frank in Summer Hill it is on the road to recovery. Fingers crossed the guys insurance company dont try and write it off!

After i was run into in a similar incident (I wasn't actually in the car), i was informed that if you don't want to have the car written off, the other guys insurance company can't actually do it. Not sure if this is actually true or not, but it's worth further investigation i think.

They don't make these cars anymore, and no one drives one because it's an economical and sensible decision. Why should they save a few dollars, at your expense, over someone elses stupidity?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Barry Edmunds

Sympathies to you your pain and the damage to your 147.
I can relate to your pain and anger. Just be thankful that you don't have insurance issues to complicate things otherwise you could waiting for a long time to resolve the matter.
It is now coming up 2 years since a taxi, driven by a person without driving skills, principles. ethics or anything else that normal people have, wrote off my Giulietta and I am still trying to get this low-life recalcitrant to accept responsibility and re-imburse for the loss. Obviously court judgements, letters of demand etc mean nothing to people from certain parts of the world but wobetide anyone who happens to cause damage to one of their vehicles as they will sue, very quickly the other party for every possible cent, loss of income, personal injury and all manner of issues that no-one else has ever heard of and before you ask - taxis in Victoria are not required to be insured, other than to have the usual third party property cover that everyone else has.
Whoever it was that said that the legal system has nothing whatsoever to do with justice and fair play was spot on.

Joe Garra

My Q was written off at 6,000, damage was 10,000. I bought the car back for $500 and repaired it. Total cost to me was 4,500 plus the 5,500 the insurance company gave me, and the car is fine. The write off was economical not structurally, which is why I decided to fix it (plus using the cars for work makes the repairs tax deductible ;-)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

w47ty

I must admit i have been weighing up the pros and cons of, if it is written off and i could buy it back for a song. Like Joe thankfully there is nothing structural so i may actually be better off financially at least.  However it would all depend on how much ins company were prepared to sell me the car back for i suppose.  :-\ we shall see
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

w47ty

Well good news indeed....Shannons have coughed up and the repairs are underway!!!!  thank you everyone for the kind words. I am a happy man today!!!!
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Joe Garra

Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

pep105

Good to hear Chris, congrats hopefully before you know it it will be back on the road.
Thing is theres a heap of 105 owners I know or have met that have had the same thing happen seems to be very common.
May be due to the 105s beautiful rear end, resulting in the person (dimbulb) behind forgeting to brake.
The story Ive heard always goes ' Ohh yeah I used to own a 105 till someone hit me up the arse and the car was written off'
In your case Happy Days
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

w47ty

Well, after a number of weeks of anticipation I have finally got the little beauty back. I took the opportunity whilst it was in the garage to have a few minor cosmetic additions and oh my goodness if it were at all possible she is better than before.

I dont really like advertising in forums but I do believe in giving recommendations when someoen does a good job and to that end i cannot recommend Michael Galimi (Galimi Automotive) highly enough.  He was recommended by Frank at Franks pitstop motors. He thought Michael would be the best manfor the repair job as he is an experienced restorer and alfa enthusiast.

Michael's attention detail and craftsmanship is second to none. if you are in Sydney and you need someone to do a restoration or plain old repair job then he is your man. sensational work and i am in love all over again with my 105!!!

I shall post some pics shortly. Thank you Michael and thank you guys for all your comments.   fingers crossed some clown isnt dazzled by my rear end again!

cheers

PS  if you would like Michaels details PM me
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Gary687

Stop talking about it and get the bloomin' pictures up matey  ;D

See ya soon!
Alfa Brera 2.2
Alfa Giulietta

w47ty

jeez no pleasing some people. It was all your fault it was in this state in the first place!!!

here are a few pics to be going on with. i havent had a chance to take one in the daylight of the finished article yet. I will do that Saturday :)

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Gary687

Good work mate and can't wait to see the finished article! Have you had the engine done at the same time??

That infernal warning light on mine was a stretched timing chain in the end and is in having it done whilst I'm away....not a cheap fix but hey ho, we do love Alfa's!!!!!!!
Alfa Brera 2.2
Alfa Giulietta