Cambelts and tensioners / new technology?

Started by Alfa Sam, May 25, 2010, 10:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa Sam

It seems that the cambelt change issue ie. the need for a change at 3yrs or 60k whichever comes first, keeps coming up from time to time. Like a good boy, when the belt etc on my 156 was due, I did the business, laid out the cash and had it done by someone who knew what they were doing.

But you cant help wondering, if alfa cant make belts and tensioners that last a bit longer, like those on other types of cars seem to be able to, why hasnt some after market mob done it? Im sure they'd make a killing if they came up with the goods....

Im sure there must be a reason why they cant or havent......Is there a technical issue? Has technology not progressed in the 13 years or so that 156's have been in existence? Please dont let it be that its not in their interest to come up with something more reliable....

Any comments or explanations?

Paul Gulliver

Buy a 159. They have a chain driven engine. Making old technology new again.

Cheers

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Steve S

Its not just Alfa TS, other cars are just as bad. Fiat 2L 16V are terrible and there are 1" belt conversion kits available. However the belt is cheap and easy to install and will never break if you replace it within 2 years, even on powerfull race engines.

It comes down the cost/benefit. It may cost 3x as much for the upgraded kit. Most people change the belt and sell the car before it needs doing again anyway.

wankski

it's not a big deal, it's just that a whole bunch were done incorrectly, or tensioners and the water pump weren't replaced in what was an epic volume seller for alfa. They decided to revise down the 5yr, 100k kms advisory, hence the bad rep.... if you change it properly every 3 years you should be right...

a lot of the bitterness from 'alfisti' i guess comes from the fact the slipping belt bugbear of the old v6s was never an issue w/ the 4s, and fiat in their wisdom decided to go to belts on an interference engine - so something that was never an issue in the 8v twinnie, was now popping engines...

understandably some owners were pissed.

edit: same alfa sam from gtv6.org that has or had a 3L 75?

Alfa Sam

Hi...no not the other alfa sam....trust me..i think there'd be quite a few sams with alfas.... ;D