Buying 156 JTS. Cambelt Question.

Started by juzz, October 15, 2010, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

Hey Juzz, all the best with the 156 and hopefully for your sake Hugh says it is the one.

Wankski I think has pretty much said it all re these cars, in terms of what to look out for.

I have a '03 JTS Sportwagon, which I have owned for nearly 3 years.  I bought it with 89,000 on the clock and it now is up to 107,000.  I paid $20k for it but guess at best if I were to sell it now I might get say around $13K.  Obviously the longer I keep it the more it will depreciate.  So the other option is to say bugger it, keep it, enjoy it and eventually when the time comes, well thats life.

Thankfully mine has been really reliable.  I have so far replaced two of the engine management sensors (coil packs), and from my experience depending on which, the cost varies, the first one cost me $240 to replace, the second one approx $450.  So theoretically I have two to go  ;D

Apart from that, I have a squeak in the front end, which as I understand is the swaybar bushes, which need replacing and probably the lower or top wishbones as there is a little bit of clunking occurring but nothing too bad.

So far I havn't done the belts yet, but I am factoring in needing to do these in around the next 5-10,000km.  At the last service, my Alfa mechanic advised that they looked in perfect condition.  I always keep the oil topped up, but thankfully have never seen the smoking issue Wankski mentioned.

Similarly, I havn't done the pump or variator, nor clutch nor are there any signs of these items needing to be done, but obviously will discuss such matters with my mechanic to keep on top of matters.  I think the key with these cars is to treat them correctly.  My 156 was always serviced by Alfa mechanics/dealers in NSW prior to my purchase, on time, including the belt change just prior to 60,000km.  

I similarly have kept the services on target.  Certainly I will need to do the shockies, (well front ones) as they are now too soft, but which sort I am not sure of yet.  Konis would be nice but perhaps a little pricey, and especially since my wagon is not one I would use for competition purposes.  

As to the Bose system, it is excellent, I have this in my car, and frankly I actually don't have any problems with the head unit. So personally I would leave it and save yourself the hassle of changing over.  Both the radio and CD player work just fine and give a great sound, and I am a hi fi person, with some pretty nice gear at home.

I probably should have given my car a pre-service inspection as it is sound advice but I actually didn't and thankfully for me, this hasn't been a problem.  Mind you arranging it would have been difficult given I was in Hobart and the car in Sydney.

Keep us posted if you get the black one.  Cheers
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

juzz

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd update you on what happened.

I took the car to Hugh, he gave it the thumbs up and I bought the car that day. I've been driving it since Friday and I absolutely LOVE it.

Will be booking it in to get its 100,000 km service done soon with all belts changed.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Davidm1600

Well done Juzz, good to see Hugh gave it the thumbs up and you are already in Alfa heaven.   Enjoy.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

Re Cambelts on 156, I read that when the 156 was launched in 97 the cambelts changes were 4 years, 60,000 kls or whatever came first, then after repeated cambelt issue's resuting in valve to piston collisions, it was changed to 3 years or 50,000 kls or whatever came first, if you drive in dusty conditions or lots of city traffic or high speed driving they should be changed sooner as all this dries the belt out and makes it brittle and then the teeth break of the belt causing it to slip aroud the sprocket which is the same as the belt breaking, also the main tensioner on early 156's and the non genuine aftermarket tensioners had plastic teeth on them, and in the extreme cold weather and over a period of time they become brittle and shatter causing the belt to slip around the pulley which is like the belt breaking, also make sure the balance shaft belt is also changed at the same time as you may think if this belt snaps, it will not matter, it will tangle up with the cambelt and flip it off the pulleys causing engine failure, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]