Gravel tyres, best of two poor choices...

Started by k76, May 29, 2010, 07:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k76

I'm entering a historic rally with my Alfetta, navigational only but about 70% gravel. I've been told I can do the roads no problem on road tyres, but being a potentially wet night rally i wouldn't mind having a bit of grip. Without any proper rally tyres I have two choices, both poor: Either a set of old hard Bob Jane allrounders, 185/70/14 or a fresh set of Falken semislicks. Initially I was pretty convinced the allrounders would be better, but the Falkens have a more open thread and softer rubber. Most importantly, they are on the car! I have to calibrate the Halda instruments to whatever I choose, so I have to make up my mind. Any ideas or experience?

Regards,

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

116gtv

hi kris,

i wouldnt have thought semi slicks would be of benefit on gravel. In fact, a softer compound could damage the tyres quicker? just my 2 cents worth since nobody else replied. perhaps you should find a test road somewhere...

redalfaracing

kris , my advice would be to get some pre abused rally tyres , the tread is not so important but the side walls on rally tyres are very stiff. Will take a lot of side ways action and not puncture. You being in nsw , get on to brindabella forum and see if you can pick up a set locally.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

k76

Sorry for late reply guys,

First off, I did consider rally tyres but I thought I'd do one event first before I spend much $$$ and effort. Even with secondhand tyres I would need a spare set of rims, and pay a shop to put the rubber on.

I've been working on the lights this week, so today was the first chance to test tyres. The weather was ideal: wet, dark and miserable. The semi-slicks were actually pretty good, but I quickly realized some extra ground clearance from the taller tyres would be a good thing. I'll put the next set on this week and try again. But, first I have to fix the reverse :-[ >:(. I've had the odd drop out before, but today it dropped out with a loud bang as soon as I put any power on it.
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS