My New Shitbox

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, June 01, 2010, 10:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Hi MD.  Ok, sorry for the misleading terms I was using.  I was using a soldering iron to melt plastic, but I wasn't soldering as such.  Point taken, I won't do it again.

I know what you're saying with the gauge.  As I said previously, I had the sender out of the car, and I checked that it's full motion was registering correctly on the gauge.  It was working perfectly, ie it's top range registered full on the gauge, it's bottom range registered empty on the gauge, as well as turning on the low-fuel light.  And, what would be it's top level, as I say, would be towards the top of that raised section on the left of the tank.  I'm no physicist, but as far as I can tell, if the breather was working that section should fill.  But I'm happy to be corrected on that assertion.

It would be easy for me to manipulate the sender so that the maximum I can get in the tank now would register as full on the gauge.  But, since I know that the gauge, the sender and the float are all working properly, I know that I'm not getting what should supposedly be a full tank (Like I said, interested to know from Giulietta owners if the tank ever does actually fill).  I'm pretty much going to leave it as it is now, because at least I know that it's getting almost full.  And, like I said before, when I go round a right-hand corner the gauge goes to full (in real time), so obviously that raised part of the tank is not getting any fuel when I fill it, but fuel rushes up there as I go round the corner.

I won't be manipulating the sender so that what I can cram in the tank now registers as 'full' on the gauge.  Because I don't think it is full.  I reckon you'd do the same MD.  But I've been wrong once before.

redalfaracing

Actually Sheldon, I think you need some "wing" tanks. We visited Doomagee last August and stopped at the only roadhouse for fuel. You had to Queue up behind all the "locals" buying their chicko rolls, ice creams, dim sims, hot chips, chicken nuggets etc to tell the console operator which pump you were wanting to use, then, wait by the pump for them to get around to switching it on, fill the tanks, queue up behind more "locals" buying more of the same, pay for fuel wait for the correct change, then you are free to leave. It was nearly laughable. It took us over 30 minutes to fill up. Times that by 120 cars.... that is over 60 hours. Be so much easier if you could drive straight through there without fueling .
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

MD

Well mate in a certain sense you have your own "calibration" which is all you need and you can work with that. The shortfall in capacity means you have to carry supplementary fuel, the volume of which you already know. As far as I cansee, the fuel issue is solved.

Now for the trip meter..(assuming you get a working one)

Remember to make some revised calculations to adjust (compensate for) differences in wheel circumference as you will be changing tyre sizes as the original ratios will likely be under reading. I think you are already working on this or have a plan.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

redalfaracing

Sheldon, I meant to tell you, put 28psi cold in the tyres. They need to be at 31 psi hot for optimum life and grip. Hope you get the rims soon so you can work out if they fit under the guards.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Sheldon McIntosh

Thanks Greg.  Yep, as I drove off down the road I was wondering what psi they would take.  Thanks for the follow-up, I'll let you know how the fitment goes.

Sheldon McIntosh

Well, we're heading to Brisbane in one week from now, and thankfully the 15" rally tyres fit under the guards front and rear.  Thanks heaps to Greg for the tyres, and to Paul Edwards for the wheels (as well as organising some stickers for me), and to Marc at Milano Spares for some wheels also.

I reckon the roof-rack will hold the two spares.  I hope so anyway, that'll save us heaps of room in the boot.

I've started up a blog recently, at www.hoonanism.com , and I've posted a few recent updates of Mario Speedwagon over there, check them out at http://hoonanism.com/category/mariospeedwagon/, most of the early ones are just stuff that was covered on this thread though.

Coverage allowing, I'll be updating as much as possible while we're on the rally (the organisers have said we may be out of phone/internet range for 3 days).  I'll probably update to www.hoonanism.com, but will post a link here as well.  We'll also be trialling a new iphone app which tracks your progress on a dedicated website (that's one of my sponsors actually), but don't know how that will go yet, as it's still in the experimental stages.  If it works out I'll post details here as well.

If you're on twitter, follow me at @Hoonanism and I'll try to remember to post there when I can too.  I don't often post on twitter, but this is probably as good a time as any.

aggie57

Give it heaps Sheldon!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

MD

QuoteWell, we're heading to Brisbane in one week from now,

Ah, you'll be pleased to know that I have been busy making preparations for your arrival. No expense spared I might ad.

I got the dog to camp with the mate next door and I have sprayed the his house for fleas. It might be a bit of a squeeze but I got some spare sheets of corrugated iron for some extra cover if your legs dont quite get out of the rain. I can't say that the pooch was exactly overjoyed about the idea and so I don't advise visiting him next door while he is tied up at the back stairs unless you are wearing the cricket box. He usually goes for the goolies when he is pissed off.

The budgie aviary has been modifed with a lean to and a large tarp to be sure the wagon doesn't get affected by the Brisbane dew. The bird and have had a chat about the possible overcrowding and he's cool with that. He has only ever used his machine gun once in anger when visited by a carpet snake. So as far as that goes, I would not be tempted to release a six pack in the garden as he might mistake the weiner for a trouser snake and well, you know, things could get ugly.

No need to worry about your bathing provisions. We got a garden hose for showers and I even polished up a hub cap and nailed it to the fence for a shaving mirror. Now how cool is that?

To be sure you are fully catered for, the missuz has knocked up a couple of rounds of salmon and beetroot sandwiches last week and got 'em wrapped in gladwrap and waiting in the fridge for ya.

Now all you have to do is get to Brisvagas in one piece. We are ready for ya.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Cheers MD, looking forward to your hospitality.  Glad you got the dog out of the way, I slept on a dog's bed once and he never forgave me.  I explained to him that I was sorry and it was only because I was drunk, but he was still a bit pissed about it.  Dogs are such bitches.  Looking forward to meeting the bird, he sounds like a character, I'm sure he has some good stories.

We're now leaving a little later than originally planned.  All going to plan we'll arrive in Brisvegas at around 6pm on the 19th.  Unfortuately we're going to have a muppet our esteemed Vic President in convoy with us in an automatic Triumph Dolomite, so we could be about a day late.  I'm packing a tow-rope.

On the Friday we have the rally briefing at the Normanby Hotel, 1 Musgrave Road, Red Hill, at 5pm.  So if any Brisbanites want to check out the car we could maybe be there a little early. 

See ya soon MD, thanks for all the advice so far.  What's the weather like up there?  It's bloody freezing down here.  I noted your advice about making the heater redundant, I'm going to bring a hose with me to do that if we need it, but I'm going to run the heater as is until it breaks, because 6am starts are not so good with no heater.  You heard it here first, and I hope MD never has to say 'I told you so'.

MD

Just 6 more sleeps !! EEE -Gads !

The weather ? It's glorious. Now that it has stopped raining..The days are beautiful and sunny.
The forecast for your arrival is scattered showers with a 16* minimum and 24* maximum. If you need a heater for that, you're whimp.  ;D

Triumph Dolomite, now that IS a genuine Shitbox. Good luck MR. President. Although I must say they are reliable in one sense and all you need is a good magnet. What you do is use the magnet to follow the trail of nuts and bolts that fall off as you drive and that way you can always find your old parts. Pommy cars are great like that. Lucas electrics are another great feature as long as you never let the smoke out of the wires.. ;D

Happy motoring..

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Evan Bottcher

I remember as a kid we stayed overnight at Coonabarabran on the way to Brisbane.  The ice on the car the next morning was substantial, that was about as cold as I've ever been on the Australian continent.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MD

Evan has a point.
It does get very cold inland around Armadale, Tenterfield, Stanthorpe, Warwick and such if you are on the inland routes. The coastal routes wont be anything like that. As I dont actually know what the route is, all I can comment on is the local temps.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfagtv58

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on May 13, 2011, 01:30:37 AM
Unfortuately we're going to have a muppet our esteemed Vic President in convoy with us in an automatic Triumph Dolomite, so we could be about a day late.  I'm packing a tow-rope.

Hmmm, prophetic words indeed, it seems the muppet our esteemed Pres has run into trouble.  Anyone know a sympathetic mechanic in Sydney that may be able to assist?

Giulietta is going like a trojan by the way  ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: alfagtv58 on May 19, 2011, 12:39:20 PM
Giulietta is going like a trojan by the way  ;D

Wooden wheels?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MD

Sorry about the rain Sheldon. We get a bit of it around here twice a century.

Great to meet you and your sharp-as-pin-dad.

Car looks up to the job. You might need a new pair of trousers made especially for you by the time you get back. The left leg could be the same size as the Incredible Hulk with all the muscle build up you'll be getting. That clutch pressure is over the top. Possibly a wrong pressure plate installed sometime in its life or the leverages are set wrong.

If that solenoid becomes a problem, you do remember the wiring I told told wont you !  ;D

I am still chewing that rubber lasagna...

Best of luck guys.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0