My New Shitbox

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, June 01, 2010, 10:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

I was allowed within the inner confines of the rally car preparation workshop today.  Final preparations are underway, the level of cosmetic detail carefully being undertaken is ... simply breathtaking.  Could this be the most pristine and spotless late 80s shitbox to ever rally?

Here's some video I took of the final dyno run, incredible the power being unleashed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqEVeNqBhc
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

redalfaracing

Um Paul, don't you think they might be just a tad over $500?

I think if you added three more zeros you would be getting close!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

pep105

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 15, 2011, 07:33:23 PM
I was allowed within the inner confines of the rally car preparation workshop today.  Final preparations are underway, the level of cosmetic detail carefully being undertaken is ... simply breathtaking.  Could this be the most pristine and spotless late 80s shitbox to ever rally?

Here's some video I took of the final dyno run, incredible the power being unleashed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqEVeNqBhc

I thought that 1.8 Alfa twin cam sounded funny, at least it wasn't the Justin Bieber version

Heres another dyno run note the re-jetted and choked 45mm webers, running so rich my laptop was spitting flames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuHdUkuRi0&feature=related
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

redalfaracing

Pep, didn't notice the 45 webers, couldn't take my eyes off the high lift, twin overhead cams ;)
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: pep105 on February 15, 2011, 08:39:19 PM
Heres another dyno run note the re-jetted and choked 45mm webers, running so rich my laptop was spitting flames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuHdUkuRi0&feature=related

Sheldon McIntosh

As Evan intimated, cosmetic preparations are underway, in readiness for the Vic magazine photoshoot.  I may post some 'behind the scenes' shots later this week.

I've had a couple of emails on the subject, so I want to make a couple of things clear.  Other than the $500 we get from the organisers for petrol money, NONE of the donated money goes to us for our costs during the rally.  From our own pockets we are paying for the car to get to Brisbane, for the entry fee($500), for meals and accomodation during the rally, for airfares back to Melbourne, and various other costs.  Just in case anyone thinks they are giving money towards our holiday, be rest assured that all money donated goes towards cancer research.

Fund-raising is going okay, we're not too far away from the minimum level allowed for entry.  We have another sponsor almost confirmed, which will get us very close to our minimum required dollar amount.

A huge thanks to all on this forum that have contributed so far.  You all know who you are.  I wish there were more of you though :(

MD

Guys, I am not sure this would work in Vic but I'll suggest it anyway. Why not pass the hat around at the next club nite, race meeting and social outing for Sheldon's cause. Perhaps do the same at your workplaces. There wouldn't be too many people who are not prepared to donate for a cancer cause, surely. Every bit helps.

Sooner or later many of us will be touched by this menace but if collectivley we all help, maybe one day, a cure will be found.

Sheldon, have you canvassed the treasurers of the interstate clubs for a donation yet. If not yet, get off your ass. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: MD on February 16, 2011, 08:37:14 PM
Sheldon, have you canvassed the treasurers of the interstate clubs for a donation yet. If not yet, get off your ass. :D

I haven't done that, no.  I kind of got put off asking clubs for donations when our club had a shit-fight when it was suggested a few years ago that since we had pretty good cash-reserves that we should donate some money each year to a worthy cause.  Everyone agreed that it was a good idea, but then when the first suggestion of a worthy cause was tabled, people bitched and moaned that the cause wasn't good enough and that it should go to cause X, and someone else thought it should go to cause Y, yada yada....

Hence I am loath to approach clubs for this cause.   Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote from: MD on February 16, 2011, 08:37:14 PM
Guys, I am not sure this would work in Vic but I'll suggest it anyway. Why not pass the hat around at the next club nite, race meeting and social outing for Sheldon's cause. Perhaps do the same at your workplaces. There wouldn't be too many people who are not prepared to donate for a cancer cause, surely. Every bit helps.

We have done this at race meetings and EMRs, and raised a bit of money.  I think I got $200 from Spettacolo, and a bit less from a couple of other events.  Realistically, it's always the same core-group of people attending most events, so it's not fair asking them to donate over and over again.  That's what I reckon anyway.

Painted the bumpers today, they look fantastic....

Paul Gulliver

QuotePainted the bumpers today, they look fantastic

Hope the 90 doesn't feel to put out
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

MD

Sheldon, I think our club has donated to the cancer fund before so there is a likelihood that they may do it again. Could I suggest you write to Gary Spowart, our treasurer at treasurer@arocaqld.com putting your case forward and let Gary put it to the Committee.

You got nothing to loose but your smoker's cough..

As for the 90, well, how about selling joy rides in it for the front wheel drive mob?  ;D

OOOOh, I think I can feel a ring burn coming on.. :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: MD on February 17, 2011, 07:31:25 PM
Sheldon, I think our club has donated to the cancer fund before so there is a likelihood that they may do it again. Could I suggest you write to Gary Spowart, our treasurer at treasurer@arocaqld.com putting your case forward and let Gary put it to the Committee.

You know what MD, I might just do that, thanks for the heads-up.  It would be nice to do something with your club, since the event starts from your fair state.

Put the dinner suit on Mario for a night on the town tonight.  He scrubs up okay. 

Darryl

Why don't you enter that mazer instead? Would surely get far more encouraging comments from the organisers and would make the rally far less arduous (ie shorter).... :)

I second MDs motion btw.... and/or I'm sure you would pick up plenty of donations if you dropped in at a club night up here before departure.

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Darryl on February 19, 2011, 07:26:01 PM
Why don't you enter that mazer instead? Would surely get far more encouraging comments from the organisers and would make the rally far less arduous (ie shorter).... :)

I second MDs motion btw.... and/or I'm sure you would pick up plenty of donations if you dropped in at a club night up here before departure.

I keep trying to buy that Maserati so that I can put the engine in the 90 but the price isn't low enough yet.

Anyway, took Mario Speedwagon for a drive in the country this weekend on the Macedon Ranges Grand Tour.  We did about 400km total, and he performed well, and I'm very happy with him overall.  Engine feels pretty strong (we got some strange looks as we overtook Cobra replicas, Corvettes, and other Alfas; but hey, a drive in the country doesn't mean a dawdle does it?), and it's a very comfortable car; the seats are good for a couple of hours at least at a time, and the suspension is nice and soft enough to be comfortable, and just good enough that you can commit to a corner with just enough confidence.

This was the first long drive I'd taken him on, so of course a few issues made themselves aware.....

-The 13" wheels will not do, the gearing is far too low.  At 110km/h it's running at about 4000rpm in 5th.  I'm hoping to get some free second-hand 14" rally tyres soon, but if they don't materialise I'll get some 14" road tyres with a decently large profile.  The higher gearing and greater ground clearance will be very beneficial.  I don't think a 15" rally tyre will fit inside the guards, let alone the poor little 1800 engine being able to push them.
-The interior mirror keeps dipping down of it's own accord.  This is probably due to the previous owner affixing it with blu-tack.  I was able to eventually find a position to site it whereby I could both see what I needed behind me, and that it wouldn't vibrate down itself.  Result!!
-The radio is really shit, and it vibrates at about 95km/h.  I'll be ripping that out and replacing it with an amp I can plug my ipod straight into.

Of more serious concern....
-Neither the odometer or trip meter work.  I'd only taken the shitbox on very short drives previously, so hadn't even noticed that.  I just assumed that if the speedo worked, then the odo and trip would as well.  This made the navigating this weekend a little interesting since obviously all directions were measured in kms since the last direction.  I thought I had a good idea about kms travelled, but obviously not.  Luckily the missus does, and did an excellent job.  We'll need an accurate trip meter on the rally since....
-The fuel gauge seems to be innacurate.  No matter how much petrol I try to cram into the tank, max capacity is always registered as 3/4 tank.  Again, this is something that needs to be accurate for the rally.

Any advice on the last two points would be very welcome if you've experienced them before.  It could save me a lot of time trying to find exactly what the problems are....

Attached a couple of pics from the weekend.  Sorry to all the other Alfas which I parked next to over the weekend for lowering the tone.  On the upside, having a shitbox parked next to you made your car look that much better.  (I think every time we parked the marshalls laughed at my car)

Tell you what though, you couldn't do any better than this for a $400 car.

Storm_X

sounds like some one is falling in love ??

I have 15" x 7" simmons on the rear of my daily giulietta and it pushes them well and they fit nice, I havent notices what the revs are in 5th gear at 110km but i know its not low.

My speedo also works but my odo is stuck ( will replace with a new cluster soon), also when i fill my car full of petrol the gauge reads 3/4.

Im not sure how to fix the odo, you might just need to get another 2nd hand one. With the fuel gauge im also no sure, either again its the cluster or needs a better earth connection in the boot.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

redalfaracing

Sheldon, i still have the 15" rally tyres, and i really want you to have them. These are silverstone and a funny size. Probably equivalent to a 185/60/15 and i am sure they would fit under the guards and the "shitbox" would have enough power to pull them ok. I used 195/65/15 on my Alfetta sedan with no dramas at all. Think it over. Have you got any 4 stud 15's? If you want i will get them fitted up for you. i think i have 6 in total.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC