engine rebuild 156

Started by drewster71, March 21, 2010, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewster71

Hi guys,
have found a 156 for 3k but guy saying after oil damage motor will need rebiuld or engine, what kind of dollars ball park would I be looking at,

thankyou in advance Drew
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

Davidm1600

Hi Drew, Do you know which model it is, ie. Twinspark or JTS?  On average there isn't probably too much difference in the cost of a rebuild but from figures I have seen I would be allowing for somewhere between $4-6K depending on precisely what needs to be done. 

The other alternative, if you weren't too worried re originality is to pick up a second hand motor out of a wrecked 156/147 and have that installed.  I have seen engines as such advertised on ebay for around the $2K mark, plus obviously you would need to factor in the labour cost of removal and installation of the second hand motor. 

The other obvious route is to find a decent condition 156 for say around the $6-8K mark if that were your budget and forget the hassle.  Keep an eye out on ebay, carsales, carpoint, carsguide, as they are coming down in price.   Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

CyberErcov

If you are interested iv got brand new Alfa Romeo 156 engine V6 2.5L for only $2500. You can contact me on 0418 376 164 or via email CyberErcov@gmail.com

wankski

if you can't do the work yourself, i would agree with above, u can pick up a cheapish 156 for 7-8k these days...

only way is to make it worthwhile is to extract the motor yourself, split it, and take it to a good alfa workshop to regrind the crank and match new oversize shells, which in itself, not too expensive, then you would have to reassemble after getting head pressure checked, new head gasket and away you go after putting in new water pump, tensioners and belt while the engine is out (easier)...

there exists the possibility that when the bearings went it took out the crank beyond grinding... apparently 0.75mm oversize shells are available... u'd then have to go looking for a 2nd hand crank and machine that one... new main bearings to go with it...

assuming this is big ends damage of course...

u'd have to be more specific.... if by 'oil damage' they mean it completely ran dry and the engine was run until it seized, forget it... put a bullet in it and move on... again as above, 2nd hand motor - $2k sounds about right for a TS, - have to confirm a leak down test w/ compression numbers, again with the belt (must assume it for a 2nd hand motor) - budget around 1k if you're not doing belts/tensioners/pump yourself, then u need a quote for labour swapping motors...