156 suspension advice

Started by Anth73, April 10, 2007, 07:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anth73

If you've read my "weekend drives" post you'll already know that the handling and ride of the 156 is a little disapponting for the lack of control when the going gets a little rough. By comparison, I think my wife's 2002 Subaru Liberty provides better control, ride and handling.

I've researched some of the other Alfa forums and this seems like a common issue with the 156, particulalry those with a V6 or diesel engine. The main source of the problem seems to be the shockers, with several articles actually describing the spring rates on the normal suspension as fine and the lowered SP2 sport pack springs actually being too firm and exacerbating the problem. They all agreed the standard shockers were terrible.

EB spares have some specially valved Bilsteins that have been reviewed and given a positive write-up. At about $570 pounds with freight to Australia these aren't cheap. So I'm hopeful anyone else on this forum can provide some advice and personal experience on what has worked and what hasn't. Anyone fitted Bilstein B6 Sport shockers? I'm not keen on lowering the car as I'll have clearance issues with my driveway, unless it's by 20mm or less.

Thanks in advance.
Anth
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

Scott Farquharson

Talk to Rick at Top Performance (Koni) - I'll be putting a set of yellows on my 156.  I don't think you could go past the Koni's anf they'll be cheaper than the Bilsteins as well.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Anth73

Scott, let me know when it's done as I'm really keen to hear your views on the result. Another drive today, from Brocky's Big Day Out in Hurstbridge across to Growling Frog golf course for lunch on some undulating and winding roads once again showed the lack of control and compliance. Oh what a great tourer the 156 could be with some decent shockers!
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

Scott Farquharson

Won't be for a couple of months - after I have finished the group s car - one project at a time!!  After that I will be giving the 156 the once over including cams to take advantage of the ported head I have on the car, koni's and probably a modified ecu.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)