FS - GTV 105 - Sway Bars Adjustable - Front & Rear - Custom Made

Started by GTV-TS, June 13, 2010, 09:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTV-TS

GTV 105 Sway bars

Front sway bar custom made for me when I had a 105 GTV2000 - adjustable 3 position with custom fabricated adaptors to bolt to lower suspension arms - photo below
Sway bar made from alloy high carbon heat treated steel.

$ 250 ono

Rear sway bar again custom for my long gone 105 GTV2000 - adjustable via specially made aluminium sliding blocks - photo coming

$ 100 ono

Contact Alex on 0412 004 284 or alex.c@ozemail.com.au

Storm_X

Quote from: GTV-TS on June 13, 2010, 09:44:52 PM
GTV 105 Sway bars

Front sway bar custom - adjustable 3 position with adaptors to bolt to lower suspension arms

Rear sway bar custom - adjustable via sliding blocks

$ 250 ono for both

Contact Alex on 0412 004 284

they wouldnt fit on a 116 would they ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Barry Edmunds

njh1964

Hi Alex,

Would you have any photos of the sway bars, preferably fitted to a 105 car. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about fitting a rear sway bar to my GT1300 Junior, which didn't come out with one as standard, and I'm trying to work our what body fixing points may need to be retrofitted to my car to take a rear sway bar.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

Barry Edmunds

Nick

I'd suggest you talk to other 105 owners before attempting to fit a rear sway bar and then goping through the necessary engineering (although not major). From my own experience with a Giulia Super I found that the rear sway bar turned the car into an ill handling pig that was more intent on changing lanes than providing stability. Removing the rear sway bar solved that handling problem.
105's were designed to have a stiff front suspension and soft rear suspension and it seems to work pretty well in standard form.
Result will also depend on stiffness of front springs and front sway bar and what shocks you are using.
Mounting points for the rear bars are probably the same on all 105 coupes and sedans and you will also need the longer bolts for the rear trailing arms to attach the lower links of S/B to. I have some of these longer bolts if you need any.

Barry

GTV-TS

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the long delay in replying - so not sure if still relevant.
These bars were fitted to my 105 GTV2000 many moon ago.

So I can guarantee they fit a GTV2000.
So not sure of the situation for 1300 junior
I would have thought front bar would be exact fit.
Its been a long time but I seem to remember the rear bar had bolt on points for the bar & then the connecting rods/arms went down to the rear live axle which had mounting bolts fitted.
If your still interested I can do photos & probably go to Hugh Harrison's and see if he has a junior I can use for fit & photos.

If still interested drop me an email at alex.c@ozemail.com.au & we could go from there, particularly if your in the Melb area would be happy to arrange something.

By the way Barry's comments are mostly irrelevant for GTV as Guilia Super has totally different handling characteristics, I should know I owned one after my 105 GTV2000.   Gulia has considerably longer wheelbase & different body weight distribution.
He is right about keeping the rear soft & not tying it down too much.
The rear adjustable bar is only a little stiffer then the standard GTV2000 bar, which was needed to balance the considerably stiffer custom front bar - the one I am selling.  Its all relative.   And of course he is right about the other stuff such as changing spring rates etc.
I ran these sway bars with stock standard 105 GTV2000 springs.

Cheers
Alex

GTV-TS

Hi Nick,

Are you still interested in the sway bar(s)??
I can organise photos over weekend.
Also happy to go down to Hugh Hs and take photos of swaybars on a 105.

Cheers
Alex

njh1964

Hi Alex,

I still need to do some research on the logisitics of fitting a rear sway bar to a GT1300 Junior... not sure if the body mounting points even exist on the Junior. That being the case, I'll pass for now, but thanks anyway.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

GTV-TS

No sweat Nick.

It just depends if Junior had rear sway bar fitted from the factory, I would have thought people like Hugh Harrisson would know this.
If it did then you can fit my rear bar.

Anyway I will have some pics later today on the forum of the bars & custom made fittings for the front barc connecting rods mount to the bottom suspension A-arm

Cheers
Alex
0412 004 284

branko.gt

How stiff are these bars supposed to be ?
Stiffer than the standard 2liter bars?

GTV-TS

They are considerably stiffer due to:

1.  steel used (high alloy and carbon) and heat treatment
2.  they also have three position adjustment holes on the bar
3.  thickness - I will need to check, I can measure the bar but dont have a standard 2 l front bar for comparison, so if you or someone knows you can compare - might ring and ask HughH later today.  I think from memory its thicker then the standard bar.

It was all too long ago when I had these bars custom made for my 105 at the time, so don't remember all the detail.

Also was going to take photo yesterday to put on forum, but will try and do that today so you can see the set up of the sway bars.

Cheers
Alex

GTV-TS

GTV-TS

Hey Branko

105 GTV front sway bar appears to be 23 mm thick - source Hugh & Ange
This custom made sway bar I'm selling is 26 mm thick
BUT also Don't forget the stiffness is also a function of the distance you apply the tortioanl force at from the bar's pivot point/line,
and with my sway bar you have three positions to change that to.

So Branko if you look at all the tech info so far my front bar is a lot stiffer then a standard 105 GTV
Which is a goodthing  because I have long memories of how much more I enjoyed driving my 105 on the track and road with much less body roll then it had with the standard sway bar.

I hope you don't want me to go through this exercise with the rear bar.
But from memory I think I made the rear sway bar about the same thickness as factory, but the difference is that its adjustable via a sliding block which allows you to fine tune the front to rear torsional stiffness/moment balance.

Cheers
Alex

rick105

GTV-TS

Hi Rick105,

Although a couple of people here in Melb. are contemplating these bars, they are still available.
If your still interested if you could find out about freight & cost or I could do it from this end if need be.
If you can do electronic transfer of $$ I would be happy to package and ship them for you.

Cheers
Alex
0412 004 284 or alex.c@ozemail.com.au