Series 1 1750 GTV, Performance mods

Started by preacherman, September 04, 2010, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preacherman

HI all

Just wondering what performance mods can be done to the 1750 that wont cost and arm and leg. Really looking for faster road performance and club work not for the track. I guess a replacement head, ported and upped rated valves and better cams. Where does one start.
Anyone got any performance mods for sale?

Also would a 2 litre LSD just bolt onto a 1750? Any modifications necessary??

Thanks

Lindon

Barry Edmunds

Lindon

You are on the right track re the performance mods but I suggest you talk to the experts in your club, and there would be quite a few who can advise, before you start throwing $$$$$ at the car. First thing to do is to set parameters, and a budget for what you want to achieve (and stick to it)

You can fit an LSD diff into a 1750 (or any 105 series car) without modifications. The 4.3 LSD is the most popular LSD diff ratio in 105's. Easier to swap the entire rear axle/diff assembly over than to pull diff out and swap. LSD diffs have a different diff housing and different splines on the axles than the non LSD unts.

If you have one get it checked thoroughly before fitting and if you don't have one be prepared to shell out plenty as they are both scarce and expensive.
Barry

cjheath

Once you start on engine work you need to think about end-to-end flow, there's not much point doing just one area and moving the bottleneck elsewhere. Any significant changes will need rejetting, so expect to spend half a day on a dyno.

If you're just starting out, you can gain a lot of performance from suspension improvements. Koni's, adjustable camber arms, nylon trunnion-arm bushings, etc. I reckon this is the way to start out - get the most out of your chassis before you worry about increasing power.

MD

QuoteIf you're just starting out, you can gain a lot of performance from suspension improvements. Koni's, adjustable camber arms, nylon trunnion-arm bushings, etc. I reckon this is the way to start out - get the most out of your chassis before you worry about increasing power.

You wouldn't get better advice if you paid for it..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

preacherman

Thanks a heap guys. I will start out slowly and the suspension mod suggestion makes a lot of sense so will go down this track first     Down the road I will look look at head, carbies and exhaust etc.  BTW are the 40 DCOE suffiicient after rejetting or is it more advisable uprate them?

I have found someone who uses GTV on the track in NSW so it will be good when i get a chance to visit his shop. Thanks again