Roof lining

Started by Leeran, June 19, 2010, 05:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leeran

Hi All

Has any one had exprience in replacing the head lining in a 105 GTV, if so should I let the pros do it. I am pretty good at most things but with this I am not sure.

Lee

Barry Edmunds

Lee
If you are adventurous, have lots of patience and a good supply of clothes pegs and not undaunted by a challenge why not have a go.
Letting the pros do the job is OK but not as satisfying as doing it yourself.
Barry

Leeran

Thank barry,

Is this something you have done yourself? I have purchased new headling from the UK, is their foam padding under the old lining? as this did not come with the new lining.

Lee

pep105

Lee,
I'm in the process of doing the same had another look at it today and there foam pads of varying length that may be required to be made up. Bought my kit from Classic Alfa and you'll need to hang the rooflining in a warm room to get all the creases out first. There's a couple of threads on this on the Alfabb as well.

I'm gonna give it a crack let us know how you get along

Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

sportscar

hi all,i am in the process of doing this but i think i will leave it to  the experts.i recently got a quote and it wasnt that expensive.

Leeran

What was the price quoted ?

Krishnan

Hi,

I got mine done a couple of months ago from a place in sunshine (the name escapes me). It cost me $350 and is perfect. That included all the foam etc which doesn't come with the Alfaholics kit.

Its quite a complicated install with the halo ring etc so I was happy to send it away.

Cheers

mickl

Hello Krishnan..was it $350 for labour or $350 all up incl the lining materials and foam?
I will soon be to this stage with a berlina ....a trimmer told me some time ago he could make up a lining from the old if it were salvaged for the pattern and it would be about $300-$400 depending on howtricky it would be. i am not doing a concourse resto, just a reasonable job so what do people think is best?.....get one made up like above or buy a ready made one and get a trimmer to install or have a go myself?
Mickl

Krishnan

That was $350 for labour and and foam. I purchased the Alfaholics headlining kit from the UK. Your local guy will probably be able to make something up, but I imagine would stuggle to get the correct snakebite pattern.

If that doesn't bother you go for it!

Henry Goodman

Guys, if you don't mind me asking, did the replacement of the headlining involve removal of the front and rear windscreens and included in the price? Perhaps removal is not necessary, as I was once told the screens had to come out.
I also have this job on my 'to do' list for the Giulia Sprint.

Regards,

Henry.

sportscar

yes the windscreens have to come out

mario-jnr

hi all just had my headlining instaled i bought a kit from clasic alfa in the uk i went to clark rubber and bought $25 of foam and cut and glued it in myself and then i called my trimmer who has just done a great job on my seats and he instaled the headlining for a poultry $100. :oit was the first bertone coupe he has done so i was a bit nervous but he did a great job.
for those of you who are interested his name is greg anderson ph 040406790 i can highly recomend him ;D

preacherman

Can anyone recommend a good trimmer to do seats on a series 1 1750 in NSW please

Thanks
Lindon

Sam

while on the subject of Re-trimming, roof lining, seats etc .... does anyone know if there is someone who will re-trim a leather stearing wheel / I have a period Momo (70s) stearing wheel that i would like restored.
Thanks
Sam

Barry Edmunds

Lee
I wasn't game enough to tackle the headling job myself and happily paid for a pro to do it and he made it look easy. After watchimg the guy work I am still not certain that I would try it myself. Wasn't a lot but peace of mind is priceless.

It says more about my lack of skills in that area than anything else.

If you are not confident enought to tackle the job yourself, it is probably wiser to let a pro do it. If you start and get part way through and it all goes pear shaped it will cost a lot more to fix your mistakes.

Barry