Badges and Keys for 156

Started by DonRom, June 08, 2010, 02:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonRom

Hi Guys,

Great forum you have here. It was a tremendous source of information for me prior to purchasing my first Alfa, a 2005 156 JTS Ti. I've only had it a few days but the impression it has left on me has been profound! The highlight has definitely been the sound of the engine and I can't wait until summer so I can wind down the windows to enhance the aural effect!

Anyway, the car is in great condition, however, the front badge is quite faded and the clear plastic coating is peeling. I'd like to replace it and I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent source to obtain said item? So far I have received a quote for $83 inc. freight from a place in South Australia, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper alternative?

On another note, I was only given the one key when i purchased the car and it happens to be in poor condition with the little Alfa badge missing as well as the hook that allows you to attach it to a keyring. Aside from the fact that it looks far from new, i also have a reputation for "misplacing" my keys and so a spare is definitely in order!

Has anyone had any experiences with getting replacement keys? How much am I looking at to get a new one?

Cheers

DonRom

wankski

if you want an original, you have to get keys from the dealer complete with FOB.... otherwise Mister Mints have the equipment to make a spare...

the front badge can be had on british ebay for around 20 quid + shipping.

John Hanslow

Check out the wreckers/parts yard in your state.

If in Vic refer to our sponsors page top right hand side of home page.  I am sure that you can get a replacement one at a reasonable price.

We have dealt with keys before.  The chip in the key acts like a immobaliser and to replace it you need the code card in the owners manual.  As above, Mr Minute (Chadstone was our previous location reference) but if no luck go to the dealer.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

DonRom

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll have a look at ebay and check the sponsors for the best deal on the badge. Sounds as though I was correct in not rushing out to spend $83 on a badge asper my first quote!

Regarding the key; I checked the manual and it doesn't look as though I have the code card. I'll have another look again tonight when i get home but in case i don't have it, surely there is still another way to get a new key? Also, should Mr Minute be able to copy the key - I assume that this will just be the key itself and not the disarm and boot release part as well?

John Hanslow

It is not the key.

It is the chip inside plastic body with the battery. It 'talks' to the engine with ignition & starting.

Or as explained another way, the car has an immobilizer and the electronic key activate it's release and engages all vehicle functions.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

DonRom

Thanks guys, I think the badge from UK ebay is a definite winner. I'm about to order one now.

Cheers

Barry Edmunds

DonRom

From my past experience I would steer well clear of any Mr Minute for anything. There are a number of very reputable locksmiths in Melbourne, and elsewhere who will make up a replacement key.