159 Q4 3.2 V6

Started by Robarbon, June 26, 2010, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robarbon

Does anyone own one?  Any comments?  I'm looking at a 2007 model for $37,500.  Is this a good price?  Any comments would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Scarlan

Hi Rob,
You only need to look at the number of 3.2 JTS Q4's on the market on Carsales at the moment to discover that price is a good one, although it all comes down to the condition of the car and the number of kilometres travelled (& of course service record).
I have a 2007 manual 159 Q4 and I have to say it is a sensational car.
It has all the bells and whistles that other Eurpoean cars have at twice the price, has terrific performance, and looks fantastic.
I had a 156 for ten years which I absolutely adored, but this is another level of development (& includes air-conditioning that works).
The only bug bear that anyone will mention is the fuel economy.
If you are driving around town in stop / start traffic the economy is pretty bad; but then what would you expect from a car with this engine, weight and performance?
If you do a lot of freeway driving, or country cruises however, the results are significantly better.
TBH; if you are thinking of fuel economy at the same time you are thinking of this car, then you are simply looking at the wrong model.
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Robarbon

Thanks, Scarlan
That's all I need to go ahead with the purchase.  I have been looking at a 156 but the AWD really got me thinking about a 159 instead.  I had heard they are a bit heavy, but if you have owned both and recommend the 159 I will go for it.  Fuel economy is of little consequence.  I travel so few miles in a year.  Thanks again for your advice.

Rob

Scarlan

Hi Rob,
Good luck; I hope it works out well for you and the car lives up to your expectations.
What colour combo?
Regards,
Scarlan
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Robarbon

Hi Scarlan

Thanks for your interest!  It's "Rubino red" with dark grey interior.  Personally, I don't like black or silver cars so I was really happy to find a different colour.  It looks great.  What colour is yours?  I think I'll get a very pleasant surprise when I have a test drive tomorrow.  I currently own a 1990 164 (auto) and it's the latest model Alfa I've ever driven!  But nothing's going to beat my 1975 Spider or 1974 Montreal.  I'm very lucky to have those.

Cheers

Rob

Scarlan

Hi Rob,
Mine is the standard red with dark grey (closer to black) interior.
That is a great garage you have.
I was looking at two Montreals for sale just yesterday.
When I was in primary school many years ago the father of a friend of mine at the time had an orange one.
Even back then I thought it was a sensational car.
Good luck with the drive today.
Regards,
Scarlan
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Robarbon

Hi Scarlan

Thanks for your wishes and you're right.  It's a great garage.  At present the Montreal is in several pieces waiting for money.  But the spider is nearly complete in its restoration so will be on the road soon.  The only reason for the 159 is that the family car (164) has almost carked it and due soon for rego.  Perhaps a tax deductable lease on a 159 won't be as costly as the current repairs!  I went for a drive yesterday and paid a deposit.  It's a wonderful machine.  I like the colour but wish I had a standard red one like yours.  That would be my pick if I had an option.  A very big influencing factor in the purchase was your review.  And as for the drive, great as it was, doesn't beat the Spider or Montreal.  Those cars of the 70's have a feel that only Alfa Lovers could possible understand.  If you are in any way considering a Montreal purchase, don't hesitate.  If, for no other reason, just to listen to the exhaust note.

Will be in touch after I've broken the new toy in.

Rob

Scarlan

Hi Rob,
I know what you mean by the feel of the old cars.
My weekend toy is a Lancia Montecarlo that I have spent too much time, effort and something else on restoring to concourse condition.
It doesn't have the power, acceleration, braking, creature comforts etc that the 159 has, but it still brings a smile to my face every time I get in it.
I hope you have as good luck with your 159 as I have had (touch wood).
Regards,
Stephen
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Dna Dave

Quote from: Robarbon on June 29, 2010, 03:18:45 PM

At present the Montreal is in several pieces waiting for money.

Rob

Rob,

You have my number, tilt tray on stand by ;D

Dave
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

Robarbon

Hi Scarlan, Stephen and Dave

You were right, Scarlan.  This 159 Q4 is the most incredible machine I have ever driven.  Words fail me.  The mortgage looks worse for the wear but it was worth it.  Thanks for your advice which confirmed my decision to buy.  I remember looking at a Montecarlo when I lived in London (1990), Stephen, for sale at about 2,000 pounds.  I have always regretted not buying it and importing to Aus.  They were such a great car and handled like a dream.  You're right about the good 'ol 70's cars.  When driving the Spider I compare it to riding a motorbike.  Lovely as the 159 is, it doesn't stack up to the raw feeling of driving without power everything.  I guess I'm showing my age.  And unhook your trailer, Dave.  The Montreal stays where it is.

Have a happy day

Rob

Scarlan

Hi Rob,
Congratulations on the purchase and I am happy to hear you are thrilled with the car.
At some stage you will have to upload a photo of your collection; although the jury will be out as to which is the most popular model in your collection.
Happy motoring,
Stephen (Scarlan = one and the same).
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Robarbon

Other than an Alfa dealer (charging $22+ each), does anyone know where to buy wheel studs for a 159 Q4?  Maybe somewhere in the UK?

redalfaracing

I can see how that is relevant  ??? ??? ???
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project