Australian Design Rules on compliance plate?

Started by MisterQ, July 24, 2010, 09:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterQ

G'day Folks,
I'm hoping someone can help me. I emigrated to Australia 3 years ago and brought my beloved Alfa-sud powered 1954 VW Beetle with me. The car was faultless for 10 years back in Europe and now I'm trying to get it registered here in Queensland.
One problem I'm getting is that QLD Roads are being sticky about the modifications. THey're looking for "ADRs on compliance plate of donor vehicle", i.e. the Alfa that my water boxer engine came out of.
Firstly, I'm not even sure what ADR means... secondly, how do I find that out?
I'm guessing because Alfasuds were sold in Australia, they have a generic Australian Design Rule compliance.
Can anyone help me with the reference number for the Alfasud?
The donor car was (I believe) a 1987 Alfasud (although I may be wrong about the year), the engine size is 1484 with engine number 301.28.
I'm at my wits end... it's been 3 years of endless paper work and I'm getting 90% of nowhere...
Help me Obi Wan... you're my only hope...

Billy

Barry Edmunds

Billy
As your car would probably come under the private import category you will almost certainly have to get an engineers report, particularly as the car has had an engine change, and a major one at that.
Best suggestion would be to contact some of the tech guys in the Qld AROCA and seek their advice about finding a friendly contact in Qld Roads. Would also be worth having a chat to Richard Anderson at Avanti Motors in Brisbane. Richard has a wealth of knowledge about Alfas so he could be a good source for help.
Barry

MisterQ

G'day Barry,
Thanks for the advice... yeah, I need about 6 different engineering inspections for the car as it's been modified.
Having spoken to about a dozen different engineers they all agreed the mods wouldn't be a big problem, but it's the "Motor Vehicle Modification Application" that is the hiccup. Ordinarily, you would make that application before making the mods. But, as my car is already modded, the recommendation is I complete the form before getting the engineering inspections done.
I'll get in touch with your contact and see if he can help out... thanks again for the quick reply.

See you,

Billy

philpot

Hi Billy,

There'd be diiferent ADR's on cars pre mid '76 and post that date I'd imagine. Suds were sold up to '84 here, going out with the 70kw/95hp twin-carb.

Have an '81, model, but with an 1985 Alfa 33 1490cc, twin weber, 105hp engine...BUT, original engine (1490 cc, single weber Datra carb, 63Kw/85hp) No. was AS 3012 6000 2147. So that compliance plate is still on the car. Suds sold here were the pre '79's (74-79) 1186cc single carbs and, single ('79-84) and twin carb 1490cc's (1984).

Need a bit more info of your actual engine number to know if my suds compliance details would help...could send photo of plate if it was.

ADR = Australian Design Rules!

Cheers, Phil
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

MisterQ

Hi Phil,
THanks for that...
From what I can make out (it's pretty smudged, and I'm pretty bleary eyed from the combined effects of the weekend and the PC in my office), the engine number is (AS) 36559 (40)96122.
The characters in brackets are the hard to read ones.
It could be (A2) 36558 (A9 or A8) 96122.
Does that shed any light? I'll have a better go at reading the engine number tomorrow.

Cheers...
Billy

philpot

Billy,

For what it's worth here's the compliance plate from my '81 Sud. 1490cc, single carb.

Cheers, Phil.
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

MisterQ

Hi Phil,
That's great... I really appreciate it... hopefully that's the kind of thing they're looking for.
I got a better look at the engine number:
AX 36558 A (0/9) 96122

Much obliged...

See ya,

Billy