How strong are towbars?

Started by deano, July 01, 2010, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano

Hey guys,

I spent most of today getting my car ready for PI. Having bought bonnet pins for the car and in the middle of fitting them I had to duck off to buy some cutting discs for the grinder. I'm sitting at the lights near bunnings waiting for the green when some dickhead in a falcon stoved into me. My towbar copped most of it but there was damage to the bumper. It wasnt a soft hit either. Everything looks straight and the hitch doesnt look damaged. I'll get it looked at tomorrow but I was planning to tow the alfa to PI... I was just thinking lucky it wasnt the 75 cause Ive just put TS bumpers on it and it took over 6 hours and a day to paint them! What do you guys reckon? Id hate to look i nthe rearview and see a red 75 rolling down the road behind...

cheers
'91 75 3.0
'85 GTV6
'88 75 3.0
'15 Defender 110

Anthony Miller

Hey Dean, sorry to hear that, proves that most road users coudn't drive a pointy stick up a dog's arse let alone a motor vehicle. The tow bar should be mounted to rear chasis rails, check the integrity of the mounts and bolts, if all looks good you should be right, falc's are pretty tough old things. Did you have the tongue on? did it kill his radiator?
Anthony
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)