Alfetta GTV Gearbox

Started by Nicholas Rossi, June 30, 2010, 06:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas Rossi

Having my gearbox done in 78 Alfetta Gtv. Nealy done but the bloke hasn't told me the price.
can anybody tell me roughly how much it will cost me???
 regards Nick ???

Jekyll and Hyde

What are you having done? Sandblasting?  Painting?

Reconditioning maybe?  In which case, how many synchros?  New or secondhand?  Bearings or no bearings?  Any gears need replacing?  Seals?  What is his hourly rate?

I would suggest if you are concerned about it, perhaps you should have insisted on a quote to begin with, and anything needed which is additional to this quote to be negotiated as encountered, before the work proceeds.

Nicholas Rossi

I am getting done the 2nd and 3rd synchros done. The fellow works from his house and he knows Alfas back the frount.
He said "we will work out the price as we go along" . it may be cheep or expencive but i don't care as long as those gears don't grate

alfagtv58

Choderboy, I think that is a bit unfair.  You don't know the relationship between Nicholas and the guy doing his gearbox.  I regularly drop my car in at Hugh and say 'fix this' without a quote.  That is because I trust him implicitly.  I know he will phone me if there are going to be any epic disasters.

I think it is a fair question, although it was lacking some detail to help answer him.

Nicholas, as Jekyll and Hyde has pointed out, that is a really tough question to answer.  Its not like there is a standard '2 hours to do and needs XYZ parts'.  There are many variables that can change the cost dramatically.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

stradale

syncro hubs  $199.00    x2
syncro rings  $  99.00    x2
GL5  3Ltrs     $  40.00

minium parts  $  636.00

+   labour       $ 

karlo

hey guys.....hopeing someone cant point me in the right direction....

I recenttly bought alfetta GTV (luv it) but im not sure if this is normal with these models....the gears dont seem to fall very well...
is it true with these older cars the gear box also needs to warm up?

find it hard from 1>2 then 2>3 isnt that bad....

ps please excuse my ignorance i just started and i not very alfa savy but im learning new things everyday...:)

cheers karl

karlo

Hi Paul....

well changing gears it doesn't change smoothly and u got use a bit of force changing gears...no noise that i can hear.
Car is in VGC i bought of my cousin who had it sitting in his garage for about 10months...he jst got it tuned and checked over before it was towed to me(as it has no rego or roadie).cant say much about the service history but he does look after the veh.and im 99% he used a place called Mauceri Motors Pty. Ltd. were the car was just recently.

Alfetta 1989.

Im in Melbourne (SE suburbs)...

Thanks heaps u guys are great.....

Sheldon McIntosh

You should really post your enquiries in the correct section of the forum, and you should not be piggybacking other peoples threads, it's very annoying for the original poster.  Send a note to site admin to split this thread into it's correct location.  That said....

What do you mean it doesn't change smoothly?  You shouldn't need to use any force changing gears, unless you mean you're trying to force it through the synchros, which is a bit of a no-no.  The changes on these cars are notoriously bad, ie they're very notchy, and take some getting used to, but don't need any force, in my experience.  They won't 'fall' into gear like a Japanese hot hatch, and can't be rushed unless you really know how to drive them, and have no mechanical sympathy.

Also, the synchros are very weak on second gear, and always fail very quickly.  Changing up from 1st to 2nd, you need to pause for about half a second, otherwise it'll crunch.  2nd to 3rd also does the same eventually.  For going down the gears, you need to learn how to double declutch.  See here (bottom of page) for some info...  http://www.hiperformancestore.com/guiboDSclutch.htm

You can either get the box rebuilt, and if you don't learn how to drive it properly, it will be the same in 6 months;  Or you can learn to drive it as it is, try to drive around the problem, and then get the box fixed and drive it so it doesn't happen again.

karlo

Thanks Sheldon ill keep that in mind for next time...

Thanks for the info also...

cheers

karlo

Hi Paul...

Well i was told to keep taken it there as they know the service history and also excellent knowledge of the alfas....Ill have a chat to them,Maybe  its just my driving....but nevertheless ill get it checked out.

and ur spot on gotta get my eyes checked build date on the plaque June 81. still have put some muscle into those rims yet but as u said they should come up good.

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers

Balocco

Hi karl,just to add to some of the comments about Alfetta gearboxes. The problem with Alfettas,and I mean all of them,is that the gearbox clutch and transaxle are all at the back,and Alfa in it,s design wisdom,used a long linkage to connect the gear stick to the gearbox,and even when the cars are new,gear changing cannot be rushed,always a slight pause between changes. Then add nearly 30 years of wear and tear,resulting in a loose and sloppy gear change. I had an Alfetta fo 20 years,and eventually developed my own way of changing gears,don't let this minor design flaw,put you off,because the other dynamics of Alfettas with great handling will make you enjoy these cars.
Present
1971 Giulia Super
1975 2000 GTV Automatic
!975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Past
1967 Giulia Super bollino d'oro
1970 1750 Berlina
1974 Alfetta 1.8 sedan
1986 Alfa 90 2.5

Anthony Miller

Box will be a little stiff until it warms up, being a transaxle gearbox you don't get the heat sink from the engine so it'll take a little while to warm up. Sounds like it has been rebuilt recently, mine was as stiff as after it's rebuid but loosened up nicely after a couple of thousand K's.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

karlo

Quote from: Balocco on July 05, 2010, 12:06:42 AM
Hi karl,just to add to some of the comments about Alfetta gearboxes. The problem with Alfettas,and I mean all of them,is that the gearbox clutch and transaxle are all at the back,and Alfa in it,s design wisdom,used a long linkage to connect the gear stick to the gearbox,and even when the cars are new,gear changing cannot be rushed,always a slight pause between changes. Then add nearly 30 years of wear and tear,resulting in a loose and sloppy gear change. I had an Alfetta fo 20 years,and eventually developed my own way of changing gears,don't let this minor design flaw,put you off,because the other dynamics of Alfettas with great handling will make you enjoy these cars.

sooo tru when u said dont let this put u off as it did...as i thought i was doing something wrong and thought i was doin more harm than good....thanks for the info ill give your tips a try....thanks again....