What options for modified 116 series?

Started by Jekyll and Hyde, January 22, 2007, 09:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jekyll and Hyde

Just wondering what categories (if any!) are available to modified 116 Alfettas (81 2.0 litre GTV coupe).  The car is currently stock, which I guess makes it eligible for Group S, but I'm intending to go to fuel injection with quad throttles and possibly turbo at some stage, which I think will kind of eliminate me from most categories?

Does anyone have any ideas on what it may be eligible for, or should I just forget the idea of using it as a track car, just enjoy it as a street car, and possibly enter the Dutton rally?

alfagtv58

Doing those mods would certainly make it ineligible for Group S....and I dont know too much about other classes but the turbo would put it out of Improved Production and probably Marque Sports (or whatever they call it this year) also, check out the CAMS website you will find the CAMS Manual on line which has a description of all the various classes and rules that govern them.

It sounds like it could be a quick club car.  Have you thought about (or do you currently) run in the club sprints?  You could enter your car into Racing Class (or perhaps even Super Modified??) Under 2 Litre.

If you are not hell bent on these mods why dont you look into Group S?  Could be a bit of fun!

Anyone else got thoughts ???
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Jekyll and Hyde

I don't run in club sprints, and to be honest I don't actually think my membership is current anymore, as I've only just got the car back after about a year and a half absence from it (kind of a tradein program with the parents, I had it for the 3 years on my P's, then swapped it back to my parents for a range rover (now rather modified!), and have just recently bought it back to have as a project/play car.  Will probably look at renewing the membership once a few niggling problems with it have been sorted (especially overheating issues).

I'm fairly keen on the fuel injection, as it will cost me next to nothing, due to various contacts, and the Dellortos are somewhat worn out (think 55kw on a 3rd gear dyno run, and a room full of black smoke!).  I'm also hopeless with carbies, they never do what I want them to :(.  The turbo is on the would strongly like list, but is probably a far in the future type thing.

I'm also not entirely sure that my GTV is eligible for Group S, as it is the first of the plastic bumper models, built sometime in late '81 from memory - can anyone shed some light on that one?

Scott Farquharson

There are no race categories for a turbo alfetta.  Plastic bumper Alfettas are not eligible for Grp S.  Must be metal bumper prior to 81.  You could run in club sprints but that is about it.  Why not do that - is lots of fun for little cost.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Jekyll and Hyde

Its looking like thats what I may be doing - if I don't turbo it, seems like I can run in Marque sports with pretty much any other mod I like, but I have heard that the pace is pretty quick, and you have to spend a lot of money to not come last.  Entry fees are a bit steep as well, aren't they?

Does anyone have a list of the regulations for the various club sprint categories?  I tried to download off the website, but the link didn't work for me...  Wouldn't mind perusing the allowed mods etc to see which class I'd fit into with what mods...

Neil Choi

Send me an email (neil_choi@optusnet.com.au)

or here is the competition rules that the club runs under.

Cheers
Neil

Jekyll and Hyde

Perfect!  Exactly what I was looking for.  Looks like I can squeeze into super modified without a turbo, and without 'R' type tyres, with the list of things I wanted to do. 

Just a few points of clarity though - the fitment of Koni yellow shocks is obviously allowed under Standard Class (3.b), where does lowering stand, without roll centre correction?  (yes, I know, handicapping myself  :P)

Does a bigger radiator count as a modification under the engine regulations, and is there any rule against aluminum radiators?

Fuel injection on a dead stock engine would obviously still count as one of your 3 items from the Base Modified Regulation?

And 'R' type tyres would be semi race slick type things?

Lastly, the licence.  I imagine that L2S is the required level, is it better/easier to go through CAMS direct, or through the club?

The helpfulness has been much appreciated, and I'm gaining a definite plan of modifications now.  First modification best be to renew my membership, if it has in fact lapsed   ;D

Scott Farquharson

Yes, you could run in Marque sports but this is really not an option as the fields are very fast.  Low 1:50's at PI would have you still in last most of the time.  I think AROCA Club Sprints are the answer!
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: TurboGTV on January 25, 2007, 06:28:41 PM
Perfect!  Exactly what I was looking for.  Looks like I can squeeze into super modified without a turbo, and without 'R' type tyres, with the list of things I wanted to do. 

Just a few points of clarity though - the fitment of Koni yellow shocks is obviously allowed under Standard Class (3.b), where does lowering stand, without roll centre correction?  (yes, I know, handicapping myself  :P)

Does a bigger radiator count as a modification under the engine regulations, and is there any rule against aluminum radiators?

Fuel injection on a dead stock engine would obviously still count as one of your 3 items from the Base Modified Regulation?

And 'R' type tyres would be semi race slick type things?

Lastly, the licence.  I imagine that L2S is the required level, is it better/easier to go through CAMS direct, or through the club?

The helpfulness has been much appreciated, and I'm gaining a definite plan of modifications now.  First modification best be to renew my membership, if it has in fact lapsed   ;D

I'm pretty sure that ally radiators are not allowed in std class and would be classed as an engine mod in base and super modified. Same for fuel injection.  But if you were doing one you may as well do the lot, that is all engine mods for example.

"R" type tyres are treaded, road legal race tyres such as the Yokahama A032/ or A048, Dunlop D01 and Bridgestone RE 55 - our rules state that they must be CAMS production car list however not all tyres on the list are actually R type tyres.

L2S is the min licence requirement for all AROCA club sprints including the 6HR and can be supplied through the club.

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)