Looking at buying a Spider or GTV around the 1999 to 2001 need some advice

Started by Mikeymike, July 18, 2010, 01:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeymike

Hi people I am just getting into this Alfa problem. I have been a car boy most of my life and now that my life has settled down and I guess the time is right I am looking at buying myself a new toy. The Spider or the GTV seem to be the one. I am looking at the V6 models, Don't really know what the Twin Spark is and how it compairs to the V6.
So any info you could give would be great. What to look for when looking at a car, the do's and don'ts etc
What problems they have if any and just general info
Be gentle with with me as I am new to this lol
I look forward to any help
Thanks
Mike   ;D

spieret

Hi Mike,

I have owned my V6 GTV now for around 3 years and I love her. She has her little quirks, like in cold weather when you push the remote button to unlock the doors, they lock again straight away like she is saying "no it's too cold i don't want to go out yet". But once you drive her, just try to not grin.

I have driven a TS and sorry to those that have one but it just doesn't compare to the V6. Now the V6 engine in the earlier model GTV's pre 2001 is pretty bulletproof if it's been looked after. Just recently I have had to replace the diff/gearbox as the diff threw a tooth through the bell housing of the gearbox, apparantly this can happen quite frequently in the V6 models as the diff can't really handle the amount of torque coming from the motor. But that gave me the chance to put in an LSD Q2.

Other than that I have had to replace some heater hoses. I have friends who have jap and aussie cars that break down more than my Alfa. There was a very good article in Auto-Italia magazine recently on buying a GTV, you might want to check their back issues on their website. Or one of the guys in the NSW club might have one you can have a read of.

One you thing you have to be certain of is the timing belt, and when and if it's been changed. I would recommend every 50k for the GTV. If it's due it's going to cost around $1200. If you are having major work done on the car also have the mechanic do whatever needs doing while the motor is dropped, saves you big bucks down the road.

Also make sure any car you buy has at least 2 keys plus the master key. Having to get new keys coded for the car is expensive.

Other than that, once you drive one, you'll be hooked.

Cheers

Tony
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

John Hanslow

Spieret covers most points.

I am really big on getting a pre-purchase inspection from someone who knows the marque.  There are a few non dealer workshops who may assist but probably not much cheater than a dealer.  It just gives you a bit of barganing power to negotiate a price.

One thing fir example, look for receipts to prove that the water pump was replaced witha belt change.  There was an upgrade where the pump with the plastic blades was replaced with a metal one. 

GTV's are great cars and a few good value ones around.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Mikeymike

Thanks so much, we plan on going out on the weekend to start looking. There are only a few V6 units up for sale at this time but I guess that part of the fun. Trying to find the right one. Love the part about getting hooked I think I am half way there ha ha ha
Again thanks for your kind words and maybe we will catch up at a alfa day somewhere
have fun
Mike