Alfa Romeo produced the very first Hybrid in the world

Started by aron, July 19, 2010, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I just found this tagged to me yesterday... just too bad :'( they didnt develop it further. In 1988 Alfa Romeo already had a 33 hybrid car! However only 3 were built and so they missed the chance to offer the first hybrid car to the public. ....Alfa was 10 years ahead of the Japs!

Alfa Romeo, the fun starts after 3500 RPM

oz3litre

It would have been a hybrid that was actually nice to look at, unlike those hideous Prius things.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

stradale

In 1988 F.A.I.T. had controll of Alfa .
Did F.A.I.T decide that that in the interest of the company that something so furturistic was too much of a gamble
In the early  80's Alfa had engines in taxis that could shut down  cylinders at idle or while crusing to save fuel Honda now boast and advertise engines with cylinder shutdown as some new found idea
Alfa Romeo were the first to offer viarable camtiming on a production engine now every second car has it
I could go on about Alfas  "FIRSTS" but that would be preaching to the converted

stradale

Now that I have had a rant about Alfa Romeo "FIRSTS"  and the list is long

The document tabled as a 1988  Alfa hybrids....

I want to know what book the reference came from ......it looks like an alfa pulication [hand books ..etc] 
I have a lot of Alfa Romeo books and not one reference to hybrids.... maybe authours at the time thought that hybrids were just to far off and dismissed them ?  

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: aron on July 19, 2010, 01:25:00 PM
Alfa was 10 years ahead of the Japs!

And 88 years behind the Germans.  Ferdinand Porsche built a hybrid car in 1900.

stradale

Did ferdinand call it a " hybrid"
Electric cars were popular in the early 20th century as town cars [Doctors special] before the 1st world war
petrol / electric cars were also availiable between the world wars
who frist coined the phrase HYBRID?
The F.I.A.T group must have hybrids in development , I wonder which brand will use the technollogy first 
FERRARI
MASERATI
ALFA ROMEO
LANCIA
FIAT