CH Plates

Started by alfagtv58, July 26, 2010, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

I am about to get a car onto the Victorian club permit scheme, I thought I might look on the Vicroads website to see if the 'public consultation' on the proposed new scheme (90 day log books) has progressed any further.  The page they used to have there explaining it all has disappeared completely.

Call me a cynic, but it seems to coincide with the Gillard announcement of a 'cash for clunkers' scheme.

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

stradale

Lets hope the dealers can sort the clunkers from the classics that might get offered up by anyone that might be cleaning out pops old cars after he passes...

Paul Gulliver

QuoteCall me a cynic, but it seems to coincide with the Gillard announcement of a 'cash for clunkers' scheme

I think this would result in the "Storming of the Bastille" from the car club classes.

Hopefully it has only disappeared because they are finally going to pass it into legislation
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Victor Lee

Hi Phil,

Is there any "how to" info anywhere for putting a car onto CH plates?  We want to put the GTV6 onto CH plates as the normal rego is due shortly.

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Neil Choi

Hey Victor

It is pretty easy as I just about to do CH plates on two cars.

Download the CH permit application form from Vicroads website, you will find it.

Get a RWC.

Present paperwork and $100 odd dollars and plates are yours to put on car.

Neil

Barry Edmunds

CH PLate scheme update
The AOMC has advised that the changes to the existing CH PLate scheme have progressed on from the Minister to the legal people.

This is the final hurdle and best guesstimate now is the changes will come into effect sometime early in 2011 (hopefully).

As the changes have been signed off by the current Minister any possibility of a change of state government later this year will not have any effect on the changes or their implementation. I understand that the current State opposition have already given their approval to the changes anyway.
Barry

alfagtv152

Hi Guys,
Your club Rego scheme is not based on Historic Originality is it?.Is your club subject to the normal road worthy as ordinary cars?.Is it legal to get a car with a full roll cage registered in Vic?.
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Victor Lee

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

john m

Victor,

I concour with Neil. If you own a current registered car that is over 25 years old, you still need to get a RWC to register it on CH plates. I 've done it on 2 vehicles.
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

Sportscar Nut

My understanding is that the proposed 'cash for clunkers' scheme requires the cars to be destroyed. Ie Simsmetal will be extremely busy. Was apparently disastrous for some cheaper older classics in Europe & the US when the schemes were in operation over the last couple of years.

Re the roll cage, just note that Vicroads/ RTA etc all have differing requirements for roll cages to CAMS approved cages. In short the key areas in the Vicroads regs are if the cage intrudes across any entry points to the vehicle, this will fail. Also the rules specify the maximum 'vision intrusion' down the A-pillar so a fat wide A-pillar cage will almost certainly not be roadworthy.

Thanks for the update guys as I am also aiming to get the 105 onto CH reg when current reg expires.

Paul

massiveluvbuddy67

There is an article in the latest "Just Cars" magazine on the club plates scenarios for each state. Interestingly, they quote two brand new imported LHD Chevs have been registered in Vic on club plates? How can that be? It must be an error.

Victor Lee

See: http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/know/news/e8c10b0e-4529-4d30-aeb5-b6e916d4a122

This paragraph caught my attention from this article:  "Club membership and approval is a critical element of the Victorian scheme. The general rule is the car should be 30 years of age to qualify but there are multiple exceptions. A couple of brand new Camaros are already on Victorian club plates, which means they do not need to be converted from left-hand drive. If a club says you're in, you're in."

Interesting ..... ??? ???

alfagtv58

Quote from: Victor Lee on August 03, 2010, 08:05:12 AM
Interesting ..... ??? ???

Interesting it may be, but it is just plain wrong and illegal!  For a start it is 25 years not 30, so the authors credibility in his research is shot from the start!

This is from Vic Roads website....it seems pretty clear to me, the only way you should be able to get a modern car on this scheme is if it is a replica (GT40 etc I would imagine).  I would not want to be the club signing off on those Chevs if it all goes pear shaped.

QuoteA club permit can be issued to the following vehicles in the following categories:

Veteran vehicles - manufactured before 1 January 1919
Vintage vehicles - manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
Classic & Historic vehicles manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit.
These categories can include trailers and modified vehicles such as street rods. Vehicles which are replicas of vehicles in the above categories may also be issued with a club permit.

see here: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/OtherPermits/ClubPermits.htm

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

scuzzyGTV

Quote...so the authors credibility in his research is shot from the start!

even before that, I believe Tassie has 52 days/year on SI plates (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but dad is under that impression on his 1750), thus making us the most liberal?
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Victor Lee

Yeah, I thought it looked a bit suss.

Damm!  There goes my 8C idea for road use!