Battery for GTV???

Started by karlo, July 25, 2010, 09:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlo

Hi All....

Need some advice on what battery i should look for the alfa....is the any particular brand i should go for? or type?

There is a amp and sub from previous owner but i don't really want to take them out and im pretty sure I would need something Heavy Duty to run them as well....

Thanks Karl..

bonkfrog

Karlo
It's always worth looking for the heaviest duty battery you can afford/fit the space. Don't buy the cheap Indonesian batteries from Repco! I believe that Moon Batteries in Melbourne are good, although I've never used them myself.
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

dehne

buy a good quality one, you can get them from any auto shop but be looking at least $100+ i think you can use a holden bat as the terminals are on the right sides for it, but you may have move flexability with that it the boot.bond are good, champion are good and so are R.J's if they are available there
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

L4OMEO

Hi Karl

I think MD's previously posted some good info on batteries - try a search on his posts and see what you find.

Rory
2002 156 GTA

karlo

thanks guys.....

looking @ maybe a Century batterie.....but the moon batterie are ment to be good....goin down to ascot vale 2moro to check them out...

thanks heaps again.......

pep105

Hi Karl,

I bought a Century 67 for my 105 and it does the job, my cars been off the road for about a year now and my brother in law 'borrowed' it for his AU Fairmont 7 months ago, works a treat as its specified for Fords -good way to keep it charged I suppose  ;) if I ever get it back

Happy Battery Shopping

Pep

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Typhoon90

If a battery doesn't last at least five years, it's improper maintenance/storage or your car has a problem.
Vehicles not regularly driven should be put on a battery tender (even the cheapest little wall transformer style plug in smart chargers are fantastic for this) and sealed batteries are very good for this sort of thing, they love to sit and be kept fully charged, with no electrolyte loss due to their sealed design.
I've been buying AC Delco batteries through work and we haven't ever had a problem with them.

Regards, Andrew.

dehne

thats funny that you mention ac delco as ive got one for my 90 and have had it for 2 years and its starting to stuff up now. i put it into my 156 as i drive the 90 everyday and went to use the 156 and no go, charged it over night and all was good for 2 weeks and then dead again.
I am going to state what i believe a fact and that is that
  alfa + electrics = short battery life  ;D
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Sheldon McIntosh

I bought the cheapest one I could get that would turn the V6 over, and it's still going after 5 years.  It's died many a time when I had the "mysterious V6 won't start problem", and been recharged again and again, nowadays it can sit for a month and still be fine.  Must be a magic battery.

I'm with Chode, it's just a battery.  Get one with the right cca and have done with it.

karlo

thanks for the info.....

I know what u mean its just a battery...but i ended buyin a AC Delco 22f 530 for $110- so far so good.....it starts  :D

but def not one of those wanker that sits in a car park pumpin the doof doof wit the windows down but 3 years ago it was a diffrent story i was certainly one of those "wankers"  8) that enjoyd there music played loud lol..

Thanks for the advice gents....

Typhoon90

Quote from: dehne on July 27, 2010, 10:08:41 PM
thats funny that you mention ac delco as ive got one for my 90 and have had it for 2 years and its starting to stuff up now. i put it into my 156 as i drive the 90 everyday and went to use the 156 and no go, charged it over night and all was good for 2 weeks and then dead again.
I am going to state what i believe a fact and that is that
  alfa + electrics = short battery life  ;D

That sucks. As I said, we've had good success with Delco (both at home and work). I've also found they are VERY good with their warranties too, we've given them back 18 month old batteries that died and they just replaced them without question.
Seriously, throw a cheap maintenance charger on the rarely car and it will solve everything, all types of batteries hate being stored under charged. The small motorcycle ones work just great on a car.

Regards, Andrew.

Stephen Aarons

Quote from: Choderboy on July 27, 2010, 12:20:10 AM
Hey Pep!

I did pretty much the same thing! Bought a nice new Exide for the Turbodelta, then my brother's 75 Battery went flat so he "borrowed" it too.
I ended up making him buy me a new Battery. :)

Now his 75 has just killed another battery, maybe he will steal this one now?

Thanks Steve! haha!

You are a tool, my battery is just fine!
1989 75 3.0 (Weekend Toy)
1982 GTV6 (Project)
        oo=v=oo
2001 156 (TS Cup Car)
2015 Nissan Navara (Daily drive/Tow car)