HID driving lights GTV6

Started by turboalfa, August 04, 2010, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboalfa

alright guys , i have just orded  HIDs on ebay for my alfa GTV6 . does anyone know if anything needs to be done when they are fitted like for example do the new H1 globes fit directly in? has anyone done this before?

GTV6 3.0L

Mat Francis

I'm assuming that as the first step, you have converted your outer lights to run as high/low beams (H4s)? If not, this is the first step if you are going to do the conversion legally.

When installing them, you will need integrate them into the high beam circuit. As in, you are not allowed to have your driving lights on without your high beams on, and when you turn off the high beams, the driving (HID) lights must also turn off.

Other than that, the only bit of grief i had was that the new globes did not fit straight in. I had to grind out the retaining clip a bit with the die grinder.

If you want any photos or wiring diagrams i can get them for you later on.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

turboalfa

So wait I need to use h4 as apposses to h1? And what are the reason for that ???

Lorenzo
GTV6 3.0L

Mat Francis

Before i continue, I should state that i have made the assumption that on your car, your low beam lights are on the outside, and the two inside lights are your high beams? If so, read below. If not, the following may be of some use, or it may not.

I'll try again.

For this conversion to be legal, you need to do it a certain way. There are much easier ways to do it, but your car will become unroadworthy.

What you need to do is retain both low and high beam halegon lights. You are not allowed to run HID lights as low or high beams in a GTV6. You are however, allowed to run a set of HID lights as "driving lights."

So to achieve this, you need to convert your low beam lights to also function as high beam lights, leaving your inner two lights free to function as HID's.

Does this make sense so far?

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

turboalfa

Yes it does and I understand that Matt but I'm just making sure that te actual globes fit straight into the head light lamp but yes i knew it was illegal to have them but not sure if j want to do it that way or just install them as normal lights
GTV6 3.0L

Mat Francis

Fair enough. Well they might fit, they might not. Mine didn't, my mate bought some the same and his did. You will have to find out.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Typhoon90

If you ordered H1 and your lamps take H1 bulbs, they should fit. I've not had any problems with the HID kits fitting in that respect.
I've got the H4 lo/hi conversions in a few vehicles now.
If you got the wrong bulbs/adaptors, you can retain the rest of the kit and just order new bulbs, it seems all the HID kits have a standard plug arrangement.
I personally think the "no HID" regulations are idiotic, the 95% of cars running around with incorrectly aimed headlamps pose much more of a threat to night vision than an enthusiast with a well sorted out car with HID's and the far, far superior lighting HID's provide make night driving much safer.

Regards, Andrew.