75 Steering Wheel

Started by f1worldchamp, April 05, 2010, 06:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f1worldchamp

Hi guys
Does anyone know if you need a special tool to remove the steering wheel on the 75? Mines a 1987 and the workshop manual refers to a steering wheel puller, but I'm not sure if it's a specific Alfa tool. ???
Current:
2006 159 JTDm
Past:
2000 GTV 2.0 Twin Spark
1973 1600 GT Junior
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Run with the bulls
Swim with the Sharks
Race with the Italians

JOHN G

Sometimes they come off without the use of a steering wheel puller.

But if not any steering wheel puller will do.

Or make one

It's a flat metal plate, about 1.75" square, small enough to fit down inside the wheel hub, with two slotted holes in opposite corners, and two M6 bolts a couple of inches long with washers. After removing the center nut on the column, the plate is placed over the end of the column, the bolts go through the holes in the plate into the threaded holes in the steering wheel hub. Tighten the bolts down with equal pressure on each side and the wheel pops right off.

Or something like the pic I found on the ALFABB

John
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

ARQ164 Shane

i pull my steering wheel off using no tools undo the nut in the middle of the wheel and jurk side to side then give it a wiggle
and pull . watch you don't hit yourself in the face as it comes off fast. Tell me how you went

cheers alphie75 ;D
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Typhoon90

Loosen the nut, leave it on so there's a little slack and go for a drive around the block. They usually self loosen. If not, cheap steering wheel pullers are available at any spare parts store.

Regards, Andrew.