Re: HI NEW TO THE FORUM. ALSO HAVE A 1965 GIULIA SPRINT GT THAT I WANT TO SELL

Started by Davidm1600, June 21, 2010, 04:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

ahm donar  vehicle for what ?? ???  In fact, given that it is a '65 model, it is a perfect candidate to be restored.   Such early model 105 GTVs are rare and need to be preserved.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

alfalake

Look, I am not going to BS anyone, she has rust and the resto is beyond my skills, you are probably right. I would hate to part her out and that is why I have kept her. I just don't have the time and skill to do it and would rather restore my 1750 Gtv. So I am looking for a good home for the car. If you know of anyone ???

Davidm1600

I totally understand where you are coming from, for I too am in a similar position, in that I am restoring my Giulia Super and then have my 1750 GTV.  All I was saying is that these models are rare now, and so hopefully someone will buy it to restore it.  I would if I could.  Rust can be overcome, and I have certainly seen some bad examples of rusty Alfas.  My Super for one !!

My query was in the context of trying to encourage a buyer to see it as one being worthy of being restored rather than parted out. 

I can certainly let a few people down here know that it is available.  Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Paul Gulliver

I would have thought with such an early build date there might be some interested from the Group S guys ( Group Sbb  ???)
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

dehne

hi there how much are you looking for pm me with ur price and contact details
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Davidm1600

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on June 21, 2010, 05:18:44 PM
I would have thought with such an early build date there might be some interested from the Group S guys ( Group Sbb  ???)

Oh please not another Alfa sacrificed to Group S etc class racing.  Early model 105s IMO are too precious now for this sort of bastardisation. 

It really bugs me that far too many older Alfas have suffered such fates, and this includes the demise to racing of so many stainless steel Alfetta GTVs.  Surely enough have have had this treatment.

Sorry Paul, I am not having a go at anyone who likes this racing, which is fine for those who do, but I think we should be stopping the encouragement of even more of these cars being converted to such uses.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Brad M

Guys stop the discussion in this area on your philosophies. Read the rules.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Paul Gulliver

QuoteOh please not another Alfa sacrificed to Group S etc class racing.  Early model 105s IMO are too precious now for this sort of bastardisation

David , I know we are never going to agree on this but here goes anyway.
I think the real bastardisation in this case is people who for various reasons put a cover on a 105, park it under a tree for 20 years and come back years later and realize the car has issues. I don't know if you have seen much of the better group S racing down in Tassie but most of these cars are not stripped out racers, but rather cars that retain a lot of  integrity. The rules in fact guarantee this.

If nobody puts their hand up to restore this car would you prefer either.

1. It gets broken up for parts.

2. The cover goes back on and it goes under the tree for another 10 years.

3. It ends up in historic racing.

Here's a couple of shots of group S & N 105 Alfa's at Philip Island earlier this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterellenbogen/4459462672/in/set-72157623682798364/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterellenbogen/4458685933/in/set-72157623682798364/

I personally wouldn't consider either of these cars to be barstardized. In fact you have to see them in the flesh to see how good they really are.

Cheers

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Brad M

Quote from: Brad Marshall on June 21, 2010, 09:45:37 PM
Guys stop the discussion in this area on your philosophies. Read the rules.

Topic split and this discussion is in the correct area.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Davidm1600

Just a quick couple of points and thanks Brad for splitting the thread, I had thought we might be sailing pretty close to the wind given the rules re For Sale threads (though still personally don't see the need to have such rules), anyway, nuff said re that.

Firstly Gully, we don't have Group S down here in Tassie.  So no, I can never see such cars being used on the track.  Second, having seen a previous Group S Alfetta down here in Tassie which returned to the mainland, I can actually say I saw how much the car had been changed from original, and so hence my point that far too many original cars have been permanently converted to racing.  Once a race car, you can pretty much guarantee it will always be a race car.

I do agree that ultimately if there was the option of rebuilding a car like this one for racing, then yes it would be a better option than breaking it for parts (but) and having not seen the car in question, from the photos it is not too far gone re rust that would dictate that it should be broken up for spares.  Yes obviously a buyer intent on restoring the car needs to be found, but then again surely given how uncommon step nose GTVs are, and given more so that this is a early model, pre Sprint veloce, this should make it even more desirable.  Similarly, though I also agree re your point that to have it sit under a cover out in the open is not desirable, but then again the seller has it under cover and does actually want to sell it on complete, so perhaps this tends to negate the arguments you present.

So, in essance, while I disagree with you on some points and agree with you on others, my main context is that I think this car is too good/rare to be converted to a race car.  Ultimately though it is the buyers choice.  I am simply trying to point out that there is another alternative, and want people to think about this.

Personally, I am not into track racing as i find it utterly boring after the first couple of laps, and rather prefer hillclimbing and classic rallying.  However, I don't have the financial means for such activities, and yes I also accept that in order to do this sort of thing also means that some cars need to be sacrificed to be made into a race car but I guess  what I am talking about is not having a series of such cars being converted and rather only a few, so that there are original ones left for future generations to enjoy.  I hope you get what I am trying to say.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Mat Francis

Quote from: Davidm1750 on June 22, 2010, 08:50:55 AM

Personally, I am not into track racing as i find it utterly boring after the first couple of laps, and rather prefer hillclimbing and classic rallying.  However, I don't have the financial means for such activities, and yes I also accept that in order to do this sort of thing also means that some cars need to be sacrificed to be made into a race car but I guess  what I am talking about is not having a series of such cars being converted and rather only a few, so that there are original ones left for future generations to enjoy.  I hope you get what I am trying to say.  Dave

At the risk of being grilled, i have to open my mouth here. Hill climbing is at least five times more boring than track racing. Similar to track racing, you run the same corners over and over again. Except there are usually less of them. And there is only ever one car on the track at a time. And you destroy drivelines in alfas because if you want to be fast, you need to abuse the car off the line.

Rallying, definitely agree. Far more exciting than the track. But, unless you build the car for it from the start, it's going to be destroyed after a few events. If you are going to create a reliable car for rallying, it will need to be far more "bastardised" than any grp s or track car would need to be.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

alfalake

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on June 21, 2010, 09:49:18 PM
[
If nobody puts their hand up to restore this car would you prefer either.

1. It gets broken up for parts.

2. The cover goes back on and it goes under the tree for another 10 years.

3. It ends up in historic racing.

Hey guys just to qualify this here, this car does not live under a tree :o, but is nice and dry and under cover and has been the whole time I have owned it. I am still looking for a good home for her to go to. I think she would be an interesting project to restore, but failing that she is a great donor car, or if you have the time to part her out she will bring in a lot more than it cost you. So someone make me a halfway decent offer and she can be yours  to save and restore it , store or part out. Once I sell it the new owner can do what he wants with it. These early models are getting rarer and rarer to find, let alone find parts few. Think about it.

Phil